Buttermilk Powder?

Decorating By Zamode Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 3:57am by Zamode

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #1 of 5

I never heard of it. icon_confused.gif My sister bought my daughter this book about a bake shop and there is a recipe from Cooks Illustrated in the back that I'd like to try, the author gave it rave reviews but it asks for buttermilk powder. Has anyone purchased buttermilk powder? Is there a substitute?

Btw, the book is really cute, has a sweet message at the end if your kids don't get spooked by any of the illustrations. I thought my 5 year old would but she hasn't and we've read it every night for nearly a week. Gotta say I like the baking theme of it myself, a book for mama and daughter, way to go sis! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
Kitcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitcake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #2 of 5

I use buttermilk powder often. I buy it in the baking isle at the grocery store and love it. It stays fresh much longer than actual buttermilk and is very easy to use. My only suggestion is that you sift it before putting it in your recipe. It tends to clump and that can be difficult to get out. Good luck with the recipe icon_biggrin.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #3 of 5

I have it. Got it at WalMart in the baking section. I got it because I don't always have buttermilk on hand, and with the powder, your mix as much as you need. Once the canister is open, you keep it refrigerated.
LL

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 5

I have it and I've used it. I don't think it's as good as the real thing, which we tend to have in our fridge anyway. It's okay in cakes, but absolutely does not work in biscuits and pancakes.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 5

Awesome! Thanks ladies! thumbs_up.gif I'm going to try it, I'll post the recipe if it's good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%