Help! Filling Oozing Out...

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm by cheatize

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 15

Hi, I just made a 10" round, filled with apple pie filling and carmel. Trying a new flavor requested by my daughter.
I put minimal ingredients and also a BC dam, with a thin layer of BC.
It's oooozing out...I put in frige to chill, but think i'll have do something in order to be able to put fondant on it.
Should I put a liitle pressure and squeeze out extra filling? I did crumb coat and it has a bulge...and ooze...lol. Or should I start over?
Has anyone ever saved a cake wiht filling problems? Oh yeah, this is the bottom of 2 tiers~ TY

14 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 15

Did you do anything to chop up the pie filling? I'd probably have run it gently through a food processor first before using it as filling...the big chunks of apple seem too big for cake filling and would make it tend to slide a bit...?

bmoser24 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:29am
post #3 of 15

no i didn't...you're right. it is sliding, too...hmmm maybe i should start over. Grrrr

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 15

I've been finding its tons better to do several thin layers of filling rather than one thick layer...so maybe torte your cake...do the icing dam...then chop up the pie filling and make a thin layer (no more than 1/4" ) of that and then a very thin spread of caramel over the top..and do 2-3 layers of filling that way. That way it can't ooze over top of the icing dam.

Good luck....it sounds YUM!

bmoser24 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:43am
post #5 of 15

OK,,,HA! I guess today just isn't my day!!! I thought i'd make a different BC recipe and used 1 1/2 c (3stks) instead of 1 1/2 stks of butter. Overheated my stand blender, had to finish by hand. Remade cakes ...and added too much water, and forgot the pudding. Hmmmm. Just gotta laugh it's 9:30 pm now and got nowhere.
Well I think it's time to stop for today, just making ALOT of dishes :{
Good new is, Even though the cake already made is bulging, oozing, and it slid/shifted slightly (Sounds great , huh?)... It just might work!
I think I can Dr. it up, slap some fondant on it that day, decorate and serve....it does'nt have to travel, and it's for my daughter ~ she said it's fine.
She wants carmel apple!
Thanks for listening - I'll post tommorow a pic of this beast..hehe

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:12am
post #6 of 15

Here is a very odd thing I like to do with oozing fillings.

Step 1. Prepare your cake for filling.

Step 2. Tort off about 1/2 inch of cake.

Step 3. Cut out a 9 inch circle of the middle of that 1/2 x 10 piece you have (easiest if you leave the cake together so it doesn't break apart). This gives you a "cake dam".

Step 4. pipe your buttercream dam on the inside of the cut circle and ice thinly at the bottom as a barrier from filling going into the bottom cake.

Step 5. Now you can fill it with your oozy filling. It gives you a double dam, the buttercream and the cake.
LL

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:12am
post #7 of 15

LOL. Glad to see you have a sense of humour about it. Sounds yummy! Can't wait to see the pic!!

bmoser24 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:25am
post #8 of 15

Thanks I will try your method, if I use oozing fillings again. Think i jsut might save myself the heartache. Well after chilling a day, it really doesnt look too bad....i just covered it in fondant and it looks OK.
Two things i decided- 1. I really like ganashe instead of BC under fondant, looks better, no bulge, no trans fats, and easier to prepare. 2. Bettercream is great as a filling-its stable, many flavor options, taste amazing, and NO ooze!
Now this cake is my first SPS tiered cake...pleaaase go well! I'll post pics tomorrow.
BFF

bmoser24 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:48am
post #9 of 15

OK, cake is done and eaten! A 2 tier cake became a 3, because i wasn't sure i would use the oozing bottom tier. I did fondant it and wind up useing it. I looked OK and was real yyummy. The oozing was held by real cold buttercream and setting up almost 2 days. After covering w/fondant it was ok and set out most of the day. Yes, there was a bulge, but i was able to mask it with deco's.
It was the one on the bottom, Oh bTW also tried name brand fondant on black...did not like. I will stick to homemade mmf.
BFF
LL

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:52am
post #10 of 15

Looks great!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:58am
post #11 of 15

Wow your cake is wonderful! It certainly doesn't look like you had any problems with it! By the way, how was the caramel apple filling? And what kind of cake did you use? Vanilla? Congrats on turning a Murphey's Law cake into a beauty! thumbs_up.gif

bmoser24 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:33am
post #12 of 15

Thanks!...Yes, I think I learned if you can still love cakes when everythign goes wrong, then your prob on the right track..lol. Dont think i mentioned my stand mixer died while trying to fix my BC mess up too! ha!)
The cake was vanilla, i used a layer of bettercream, apple pie filling,and carmel for dipping apples. It looked beautiful when cut, suprisingly, and tasted better than pie
( thats what the flavor reminded me of...wanted carmel apple on a stick flavor...close). It was a hit.
The top tier was hershy pie, for the filling. Amazing, yum and very stable
2 C. Bettercream, whipped
1 8 os Hershy bar , melted
fold together

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:13am
post #13 of 15

The caramel apple filling sounds delicious, and your cake came out wonderful. icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

Thanks!...Yes, I think I learned if you can still love cakes when everythign goes wrong, then your prob on the right track..lol. Dont think i mentioned my stand mixer died while trying to fix my BC mess up too! ha!)
The cake was vanilla, i used a layer of bettercream, apple pie filling,and carmel for dipping apples. It looked beautiful when cut, suprisingly, and tasted better than pie
( thats what the flavor reminded me of...wanted carmel apple on a stick flavor...close). It was a hit.
The top tier was hershy pie, for the filling. Amazing, yum and very stable
2 C. Bettercream, whipped
1 8 os Hershy bar , melted
fold together

Thanks! I'm going to try this for sure.
What a great cake to serve in the Fall! (although right now sounds pretty good too) icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 15

Smuckers makes a caramel apple ice cream topping, in case anyone ever needs an alternative. I doubt it would tasted the same, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%