Odd Cake Request

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm by GenGen

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #1 of 35

Ok...got a request today. Lady wants a 2 tier round...to feed 5! Um? What?

34 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 35

LOL cake muggles

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 35

how about a cupcake with a mini cupcake on top?! lol, seriously?!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 35

hey, she can have a 2 tiered cake and just cut it into 5 big chunks!! As long as she's willing to pay the price of a 2 tier, then who cares, right? Lol.

HoneyBunns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoneyBunns Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 35

A 4" with a cupcake on top.

mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:27am
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunns

A 4" with a cupcake on top.

You could absolutely do a teeny 2 tiered cake like that, problem is I bet she's only looking to pay like $15 not realizing that although it's a small number of servings it's going to be a lot of work still

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #7 of 35

Lol! I get such a kick out of some customers! jentreu is right...five people will get honkin' big servings!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #8 of 35

I hate when the customer wants a fancy cake "like on the website" but to serve only 6-8 people...I think somehow they think that way they'll get a showpiece item for cheap, or something. Funny.

mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #9 of 35

so when this happens, would you just charge a "minimum" price for a tiered like, since going by serving price doesn't work (like $3 per serving for 5 people would only be $15)?

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #10 of 35

I just tell them that my smallest tiered cake I offer is a 9"/6" which serves 30, and I quote the per/serving price for the design they wanted, and then I let them decide if that's what they want, or not.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #11 of 35

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I just tell them that my smallest tiered cake I offer is a 9"/6" which serves 30, and I quote the per/serving price for the design they wanted, and then I let them decide if that's what they want, or not.

That makes sense. They would just have leftovers.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

That makes sense. They would just have leftovers.

Yeah...that or they realize they were asking a bit too much, and they may ask to downsize, or whatever...although I also have a $150 minimum in most cases (sometimes will go under that for a "regular customer" on occasion) so really I don't much do the "small cake" thing too much.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #14 of 35

It always seems that when you ask the party size and quote a price the guest list suddenly gets smaller!! icon_confused.gif

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #15 of 35

I'm curious to know what you told her and what her reaction was. hehe Seriously, people wanting cake in this area are clueless (regardless of how many times they tell me that they are a big fan of Cake Boss). I just want to tell them THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

thomanl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thomanl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:10pm
post #16 of 35

I just did a small two tier wedding cake for a couple who got married in Hawaii and never had a cake. The husband wanted something for just the two of them for their anniversary so I did a 3 and 5 inch cake (2 layers each) covered with fondant and sugar flowers and some piping and charged $75.00. You need to make it worth your time and materials! It is funny how people have no idea how long it takes to make even a small cake! icon_smile.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 35

Kitagrl- I couldn;t agree more. I just had this happen. A customer attached a photo of a cake I have on my site which was an 8" on a 10" and said she needs that cake for a party of 12-15. Huh? So I politely said I can adapt the design to my smallest tiered cake which is a 6" on top of an 8" which feeds 23 and the per serving fee of $3.25 would be for the 23 servings. She loved the design so she went with it.
For those that have posted about the price changing based on the party size changing I'm not understanding. I charge for the # of servings I know the tier willserve NOT how many they intend to serve with it.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #18 of 35

Smaller cakes are not fair to use in some way. We still have to do all of the work (like preparing a large cake). I would do a 4 inch cake and a 2 inch. I brought the smaller pans on ebay. I still would charge her a healthy price to make sure that you are making profit from this cake.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

Smaller cakes are not fair to use in some way. We still have to do all of the work (like preparing a large cake). I would do a 4 inch cake and a 2 inch. I brought the smaller pans on ebay. I still would charge her a healthy price to make sure that you are making profit from this cake.

Meant us-hope this makes since

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #20 of 35

I've found time & time again these silly types of request are simply made because the customers do not know what is entailed as well as cake portions all the cake stuff that seems so obvious to us. I have a $50. minimum on all requests (No point doing anything under that) once I explain and make suggestions of ideas that would work they can then make a decision that works for them.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #21 of 35

my mini cakes are $10/serv. My regular cakes (anything 5" and up) are $2.50/serv LOL

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 35

The party size changes the size of the cake therefore the price

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #23 of 35

I have a wedding cake for next week. It's just the couple of their immediate family (They are getting married at a justice of teh peace I was told). They want something that looks like a wedding cake, so they want two tiers. I don't like doign really small cakes, so I told him the smallest I could do is an 8/6. Gave my wedding cake price and was told "okay" so tehy'll have the top tier for their anniversary and wedding cake for a couple of days I guess. But hey, it's what they wanted, so I'm okay with it all.

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:47pm
post #24 of 35

I recently had a bride request a 3 or 4 tier cake (she provided some photos) but then went on to say that she only needed he cake to serve her bridal party because dessert was included with the meal. My suggestion was 2 "dummy" tiers and a real cake for the top tier. She was happy that she got the look she wanted but wasn't wasting a whole bunch of cake. I don't know what most of you would charge for such a thing but I know I seriously undercharged icon_cry.gif

d3sc3n7 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #25 of 35

I thought of doing a 2nd tier as a cupcake, since cupcakes are the theme of the party. However, she wanted a 3rd tier as a cupcake come to find out!

So, I talked her into a 8in and a 6in tier @ $1.25/srv for buttercreme, no fondant. I quoted her at 40srv even though its really like 36. So, $50 for the cake, I can deal with that

She wasnt happy when I said that a cake that small wasnt possible

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #26 of 35

Wow. So how much is that cake going to cost you?

d3sc3n7 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #27 of 35

Hmm, lets see.

Stuff for cake mix: Guess $10
Buttercreme: say, $10 more...even though thats on the high side, since I have alot of stuff on hand.

Maybe $5 in extras

So, I may pay $25 max....then profit 25 on top of it...not a bad day.

d3sc3n7 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:13am
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

I thought of doing a 2nd tier as a cupcake, since cupcakes are the theme of the party. However, she wanted a 3rd tier as a cupcake come to find out!

So, I talked her into a 8in and a 6in tier @ $1.25/srv for buttercreme, no fondant. I quoted her at 40srv even though its really like 36. So, $50 for the cake, I can deal with that

She wasnt happy when I said that a cake that small wasnt possible

What did you charge her for it? Was it fondant, BC? Pictures?!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:23am
post #29 of 35

I had someone call a while back who wanted an elaborate castle wedding cake for 2 people. After speaking with her for a while she said it would be ok if there were 4 servings, as they could freeze the other 2 for their anniversary. She wanted to pay $20 for this! She mentioned buying grocery store cake for all the other guests... ewww! Some people have no idea!

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:07am
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

Hmm, lets see.

Stuff for cake mix: Guess $10
Buttercreme: say, $10 more...even though thats on the high side, since I have alot of stuff on hand.

Maybe $5 in extras

So, I may pay $25 max....then profit 25 on top of it...not a bad day.

Not to be snarky, but $25.00 for a whole day's work is not a profit. You forgot to pay yourself (charge for your time!) Even if it only took you 4 hours to do this, bake, ice, gather supplies, decorate, etc, you're already in the hole (even if you only charged $4.00/hour for labor) Don't forget about the utilities, paper products, gas to get supplies, the time you've already spent working with this person, etc.

For a 6-8, I'd charge $160.00! I can't even get my supplies for $1.25/serving. (worked itall out on a spreadsheet and my cheapest cake, just to make is $1.65/serving)

I have to say I love, and sometimes prefer, making the smaller intimate cakes. Not minis (HATE them), but 6-4s, 7-5's etc. You can also bake a single layer tall and make them 3" tall cakes. Still look like miniature versions of 'real' cakes, lol. You just need to make sure that you're charging enough to cover everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%