Scheduling - How Far Ahead Of Time To Prep Cake?

Decorating By wakemaven Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 9:44am by Mikel79

wakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakemaven Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #1 of 10

What started as a hobby is quickly snowballing into something with clients and money! My question addresses how far ahead of time do you decorate? I try real hard not to have them out of the fridge for more than 48 hrs (including party time.) When juggling 2 cake orders (wedding type cake for 135 ppl and kids castle for 35 ppl) for the same weekend I had to deal with off-gassing. Now I don't put them back in the fridge once I start decorating, but do have a nice cool place to store them while awaiting completion/delivery (55-60 degrees.) What do you all do? How do you juggle the rush as business builds? Thanks!

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:35am
post #2 of 10

Well, first, I don't refrigerate my cakes. Decorated or not, cakes do not go into my refrigerator. Ever.

This thread has LOTS of good info on the topic. In particular, be sure to see pastrylady's post on page 2 and her post on page 4. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=608252&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cooks&&start=45

Bake and freeze on Monday or Tuesday; thaw and crumbcoat on Thursday. Ice and decorate Friday. Deliver Saturday.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 10

Yup, I bake Mon-Wed, wrap/freeze then crumbcoat on Thurs and decorate Thurs afternoon and Friday, deliver Sat and Sunday. Unless I have perishable fillings I don't refridgerate after decoration.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #4 of 10

I usually bake and bc on Thursday... .chill in fridge decorate on Friday for a cake wanted on Saturday

wakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakemaven Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:50am
post #5 of 10

Big Thanks! All this makes total sense and sounds so efficient. Yahoo, I learned something new and helpful!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:20am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Well, first, I don't refrigerate my cakes. Decorated or not, cakes do not go into my refrigerator. Ever.

Bake and freeze on Monday or Tuesday; thaw and crumbcoat on Thursday. Ice and decorate Friday. Deliver Saturday.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

Rhiannon1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon1121 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:34am
post #7 of 10

why do the cakes never go in the fridge? Does it dry them out? Thank you. icon_lol.gif Newbie

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:25am
post #8 of 10

I chill mine overnight or for several hours before delivery. I have never had a complaint about my cakes being dry or stale. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I think it makes them more stable for delivery. Plus I use a mousse filling that has to be refrigerated because that's my most requested filling.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:01am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon1121

why do the cakes never go in the fridge? Does it dry them out? Thank you. icon_lol.gif Newbie

Read the link in my above post.

In a nutshell, freezing halts the process that causes a cake to go "stale". Refrigerating a cake accelerates the process. Ironically, folks who put a cake in the refrigerator to "keep it fresh", are actually causing it to go stale, faster.

Filling that require refrigeration always take precedent. But that's why I never use fillings that need refrigeration.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:44am
post #10 of 10

I NEVER fridge any of my cakes. Makes them go stale waaaay to quickly. Also, I never freeze any of my cakes either. I have had to many issues with this. Long story....

My most recent cake I baked on Thursday night. Filled and left to settle in food safe bag. Iced on Friday afternoon. Decorated on Saturday. Party was at 1:30 Sunday.

The cake was sooooo moist and delious. Not dry at all. It was a bc iced cake and filling.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%