Nut Cups For Cupcakes

Baking By cakelady11215 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 12:03pm by cakelady11215

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone used Wilton nut cups for cupcakes? I have (see pic), and I was told that they were a bit difficult to tear open. It was suggested that I put a little cut on the side, which i haven't tried yet, but i would hate for it to be noticiable. Plus, if i did snip it and it wasn't noticible, how is everyone going to know where to open it? lol... I'm pretty sure I've seen them on here before, or other cake websites, so I would love to get some feedback. I love the way they look and would like to use them for an order this weekend but I'm afraid...

thanks so much!
LL

3 replies
kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 4

Here's a photo of how I prepare a nutcup to insert a regular liner baked cupcake, and ease of removal. The hole in the nutcup on the left is cut using an exacto knife, and the hole in the nutcup on the right is made using a 1 inch grommet cutter (found in the scrapbook section of craft stores). The hole allows you to push the liner baked cupcake up from the nutcup with your finger.
For more information and photos click the nutcup how-to in my signature.
LL

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 4

I use them often, and my customers have never complained. My family however says they can be difficult to open....

I have found them so easy to pop out that often if they tip on their side, before icing, the cake actually has fallen out. The cups are lined with a grease proof something something, and I find they just pop out. Usually, anyhow!

For the fact I don't have to buy another mini cupcake pan, I can fill them and stack the bunch on a cookie sheet, it is the easiest way to go. Just make sure not to fill more than half full. THEY RISE!!!

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 4

thanks kimsmom, that's a great idea! so if i'm understanding correctly, you either do the "X" or the circle on the bottom? i tried it last night and it worked really well - but how do you tell the people eating the cupcakes what to do? of course i can show the woman that placed the order how to get them out, but then she has to run around telling everyone... but i do love the way they look so i might just go that route!

snowbuns - yes, leave it to our family to tell us the truth! icon_smile.gif the woman that placed the order is a sweetheart and she really does give me honest feedback which i appreciate very much (luckily they're compliments most 99% of the time! lol...). yes, i could see how they would slide out b/c of the coating inside but i think the buttercream on top seals it in (like the pic i posted, the buttercream goes from end to end).

thanks for the feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%