Edible Images On Fondant?

Decorating By KateLS Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm by KateLS

KateLS Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 18

Is it possible to use edible images on fondant? How would I do that? Do I need to put crisco on it first or something?

TIA!

~Kate

17 replies
KoryAK Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 18

You can wet the back of the image gently or - my fave - roll out fondant veeery thin, wet it, attach the image, cut out, and apply where you need it.

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 18

I just wipe the fondant with a damp paper towel and apply the image.

Price Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 18

You can also use a little edible glue (tylose powder mixed in a little warm water)

I have used the method of dampening the fondant, attaching the image and then cutting around it. It works really well.

Mikel79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:05am
post #5 of 18

I roll my fondant out and then apply a damp paper towel to it. Then take my edible image and carefully apply to fondant. I then trim the excess fondant away....

Here is a cake I did with edible images with the above tecq.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1692197.html

HTH!

nanawannabake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:34am
post #6 of 18

I just saw this post and wanted to ask the same question. I've never used edible images or chocolate transfers before. You could never tell with the Spiderman images - wow. Could anyone recommend a place you purchased the images? I love this site.

leily Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I just wipe the fondant with a damp paper towel and apply the image.




If the fondant is already on the cake then i do it this way. This is how this cake was done.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1397584

If i am going to cut the picture out then i just lay it down as soon as my fondant is rolled out before it gets that little bit of "skin" on it. That is how i did the photos on this cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1397586

Mikel79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 18

nanawannabake...

I found the Spider-man pictures doing a Google Search. Copy and paste them to the Kopykake program and hit the print button. The images were free.

HTH

=)

leily Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

nanawannabake...

I found the Spider-man pictures doing a Google Search. Copy and paste them to the Kopykake program and hit the print button. The images were free.




Just a reminder though, you can't do this if you're selling a cake to someone, it is a violation of copyrights and trademarks. If it is for personal use and NO compensation is received then yes you can do it this way.

Mikel79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 18

In regards to the copyright stuff...I was aware of the issues with that. However, it was for my son's B-day. No compensation was given, with the exception of compliments..

Thanks
=)

nanawannabake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 18

thanks for all the how to's. I am going to charge so I guess copying them is out. Can someone recommend where to buy the edible images or chocolate transfers?

leily Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:13am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanawannabake

thanks for all the how to's. I am going to charge so I guess copying them is out. Can someone recommend where to buy the edible images or chocolate transfers?




the only place to get approved copyright edible images is thorugh DecoPac or BakeryCrafts (that i am aware of) there are some resellers online that get their supplies from these two places and sell it also.

icingimages Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:51am
post #13 of 18

Creative Kitchens can sell to you. Deco only sells the machines for printing the copyright yourselves and they can only sell to you if you have a business license. Also Ebay is a good place. We sell the chocolate transfers that you can customize with your edible printer.

hoosierhobbyist Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 18

You can purchase the licensed images distributed by Lucks, DecoPac & Bakerycrafts at Kakes4Kids, an authorized dealer. You can also buy directly from the manufacturers with a license. There is also instructions on the site on how to apply and use them with different types of icing.

Watch out for eBay, most of those images are copied off of the internet and are counterfeit and not printed with edible ink and a food safe printer. You can always view DecoPac, BakeryCrafts and Lucks websites to see if the image is actually licensed, most on eBay are not. Edible images ALL have a little smily face with "EDIBLE IMAGE (R)", that's Luck's trademark mark. They will also have the copyright info around the image. DecoPac's images will also have "Mfg. For DecoPac" on them.

Edible images do work GREAT on fondant!
LL
LL
LL

nanawannabake Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 18

thanks for all the information which will be really useful. Love the cake pics with the stencils. They make a really nice looking cake and it doesn't take that long. thanks for the heads up on copy written stuff.

dozenredroses Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakes4kids

You can purchase the licensed images distributed by Lucks, DecoPac & Bakerycrafts at Kakes4Kids, an authorized dealer. You can also buy directly from the manufacturers with a license. There is also instructions on the site on how to apply and use them with different types of icing.

Watch out for eBay, most of those images are copied off of the internet and are counterfeit and not printed with edible ink and a food safe printer. You can always view DecoPac, BakeryCrafts and Lucks websites to see if the image is actually licensed, most on eBay are not. Edible images ALL have a little smily face with "EDIBLE IMAGE (R)", that's Luck's trademark mark. They will also have the copyright info around the image. DecoPac's images will also have "Mfg. For DecoPac" on them.

Edible images do work GREAT on fondant!




Do you know if you have to keep the image intact to stay "legal"? Meaning, can you purchase the transfer and then adhere it to gumpaste and then cut out and just use Dora?

Thanks

leily Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:51am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozenredroses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakes4kids

You can purchase the licensed images distributed by Lucks, DecoPac & Bakerycrafts at Kakes4Kids, an authorized dealer. You can also buy directly from the manufacturers with a license. There is also instructions on the site on how to apply and use them with different types of icing.

Watch out for eBay, most of those images are copied off of the internet and are counterfeit and not printed with edible ink and a food safe printer. You can always view DecoPac, BakeryCrafts and Lucks websites to see if the image is actually licensed, most on eBay are not. Edible images ALL have a little smily face with "EDIBLE IMAGE (R)", that's Luck's trademark mark. They will also have the copyright info around the image. DecoPac's images will also have "Mfg. For DecoPac" on them.

Edible images do work GREAT on fondant!



Do you know if you have to keep the image intact to stay "legal"? Meaning, can you purchase the transfer and then adhere it to gumpaste and then cut out and just use Dora?

Thanks




Yes the image is supposed to be used the way it is sold. Just like the cake kits are supposed to be done the same way that the picture shows (there is a little card that comes in the box with them) It is the way the copyright holder has approved it's use and any alteration could cause issues.

KateLS Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you all so much! Sorry it took me so long to reply! We just moved last week and our internet just got hooked up! You are all wonderful with all this info!

Much much thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%