Tall/double Barrel/column Cake

Decorating By Dayti Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 10:20am by Dayti

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everybody! I am new to the site and am enjoying reading all your tips and tricks in the caking world.
I wonder if anyone can help me with something. In the attached link, a very talented baker has created a cake similar to one that I am contemplating making for my wedding in December.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amatteroftaste/2700888628/in/set-72157606362076319/
I like the setup of the 3 tall cakes, although I will change up the decoration. Do you think the cakes (especially the 2 taller cakes) have a central dowel/rod through them to the board to avoid them toppling over? Or how do you think they are rooted to the board?
Many thanks for your help!

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #2 of 3

They should definitely have a board with 4-5 dowels supporting it every 4" of vertical cake. I don't use the center dowel very often, but you could if you wanted. Personally I would invest in the SPS system for a cake like this (it's not a huge investment - could probably get everything you need for the 2 cakes for under $20 easily, depending on what diameter the cakes are) the SPS system just provides to much peace of mine for me not to use it.

How tall are you thinking of making each cake?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:20am
post #3 of 3

Thankyou for replying. I was thinking 4", 8" and 12" high cakes, all 6" in diameter. I believe this should give me the 60 servings I need, since all the cakes will be 4" high before stacking. I would also dowel and support every 4". So I guess a centre rod is necessary then for the 2 taller cakes. I live in Spain and I don't think I can get the SPS system delivered here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%