Extra Layer With Doll Cake

Decorating By bookbabe Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm by bookbabe

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a doll cake and need to add an extra layer to make it large enough. Will the skirt layer be too heavy for the extra layer (9 in round, 2 in high)? I wasn't sure if I need to put a cardboard layer and dowels or if it would hold up okay.

any advice?
thanks

4 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 5

It depends... how daring are you? lol

I've stacked 3 layers and 4 layers without any issues of weight. The tugboat in my pictures was 3 layers of 11 x 9 cakes on top of each other and carved. I did carbaord and support the square top though.

It also depends on how dense your cake is. The more dense, the more it might sink. Plus consider the buttercream and fondant.

How many layers is it now?

I mean... I'm willing to say no you don't... but it's hard to tell since I'm not standing there doing the cake, you know?

I guess it's up to you, do you feel safe? I think it'll be ok myself.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 5

I would put the cake board under the skirt and support it just incase. I always prefer to be safe rather than sorry. Sometimes that means that I overkill on support, but I HATE a falling cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 5

If it's the same flavor cake, I dowel and board somewhere near the halfway point. If it's different flavors, I dowel and board board between the flavors. The only time I don't dowel or board between any point is when I use pound cake. No matter what type of cake it is though, it gets split and filled...the doll form gets split an average of 6 times

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 5

well I tend to overdo the supports and all anyway so I was thinking better safe than sorry (I'm not very brave!). It would probably be okay--the cake isn't very dense but I certainly don't want anything to happen and ruin a 7 year old's birthday party!!!!

thanks for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%