You Stack Cakes Like This?

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm by JaimeAnn

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #31 of 43

I use them exclusively too. Here is a four tier cake with only bubble tea straws as supports:
LL

pankake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pankake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:51am
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I use them exclusively too. Here is a four tier cake with only bubble tea straws as supports:

so it is possible to do a 4 tiered cake without a centre dowel?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:57am
post #33 of 43

I use the straws in all of my tiered cakes. I can't get the bubble tea straws locally so I use wide milkshake straws. Yes, they "fill up" with cake rather than displace it like wooden dowels. I've used them in every tiered cake I've made. I have never had one to slip or collapase two tier or 5 tier. thumbs_up.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:31am
post #34 of 43

Yes Pankake, pretty much every 3 and the one 4 teir I've made I did not use a center dowel.

It really does depend on how you feel about the cake... how it held when you built it, how dense, how hot is it going to be, who is transporting it, how long of a transport. All these factors and more come into the decision whether I would center dowel or not.
But no, you dont have to.

icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm
post #35 of 43

I LOVE your cake, Loucinda!!! Great color combo, and I see you've managed to make a cake decorated with - of all things - cake balls! You're a woman after my own heart! It's good to see that you can actually construct a tall, sturdy cake with bubble straws. Now all I have to do is find some where I live!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #36 of 43

Price update - Restaurant Depot carries bubble tea straws. 500 for $12.42. Case - 8 pkgs of 500 - $79.48 - manufacturer is Solo. Can't beat that price - less than 3 cents a piece. Definitely can't buy & cut dowels for that price. Also, check out www.instawares - they carry a different brand but are still reasonably priced.

sahmcakemakindreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahmcakemakindreamer Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #37 of 43

So do you put the straws in before or after you ice the cake? Also, to clarify, do you cut the straw after inserting it?

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #38 of 43

I get mine at a local Asian mart, 79cents for a pack of 50.
I use them in all my cakes even TT.
I have pink, yellow, blue, clear, red,orange, purple,white and green so I can pretty much match the straw to the colors of the cake so it's less tacky.
I use 2 less then the size of the cake, so if it's a 10" cake I use 8 straws, and 8" cake I use 6 straws and so on.
Never had a problem...knock on wood.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #39 of 43

I got my straws off of eBay. At $5 for 50 (including shipping,) it was more expensive than a restaurant supply store, but it saved me a trip to the city just for straws. If you have a Joanne's craft store in your area, they have the bubble tea straws in the ice cream themed summer merchandise. I believe they are $1 for 20.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #40 of 43

I just became a convert to the bubble straws. I got mine at Joann's in the seasonal section- but I found them at a local Asian market for much cheaper! Live and learn.

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #41 of 43

I read in one of my cake books to never use straws so I don't. After reading this forum I think I am going to try them. I just found them on Amazon 40 for $1. Does the brand matter?

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm
post #42 of 43

There is a big difference between regular and bubble straws - including diameter and strength. Since many professionals use bubble straws, I don't think your books contain current information. Not sure if brand matters - since I have only ever purchased them at Restaurant Depot.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm
post #43 of 43

I use Bubble straws, and like others said more straws is not always better it can weaken the structure of the cake .

I use a minimum of five and a maximum of 7. I sometimes dowel through the center but not very often. Depends on the cake and the transport, but I usually stack on site.

They are very stiff and once filled with cake (since they don't displace any cake) are near imposible to collapse.

Look in your local yellow pages for Asian markets they are the best place to get them and usually come in different colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%