Any Tips For Carving A Cake?

Decorating By mborer Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm by mamawrobin

mborer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mborer Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 2

I'm going to make a casket / coffin cake for a 40th birthday. Any tips for carving a cake? Should you freeze them first? Will the buttercream fall off when it thaws?

1 reply
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborer

I'm going to make a casket / coffin cake for a 40th birthday. Any tips for carving a cake? Should you freeze them first? Will the buttercream fall off when it thaws?

You should start out with a recipe that suitable for carving. A straight box mix and some cake recipes are NOT suitable for carving. The "Durable 3-D Wedding Cake" recipe found on this site in the most saved recipes is the one that I use. I used it for my Dr. Suess cake that's in my photos.

I bake, level and fill my cakes then put them in the freezer until they're really cold but not frozen. (This isn't necessary but I find that it makes it easier for me to work with the cake when it's cold). I carve it and I like to wait for it to come to room tempature before crumbcoating because I have a problem with my icing crusting if I don't. I don't ever ice a frozen cake. Some do but I don't have the best results doing it that way. I don't know if you're covering with fondant but you never put fondant on a frozen cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%