New Wilton Practice Sheets

Decorating By letem_eat_cakes Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm by TexasSugar

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 28

Okay, all you Wilton instructors out there. Can anyone send me a copy of the practice sheets/templates from the first Wilton course? I am trying to get ready for my class this Thursday and I cannot for the life of me find them. icon_mad.gif

I will probably find them Friday morning, but oh well. icon_rolleyes.gif

If anyone can help me i would be eternally grateful.

Thanks In Advance.

27 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 28

are you not a member of the wmi message board?? i need to get you on that as that is where you will find all the help. pm me your email address.

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 28

Would you PM me also. I am taking the class with a friend. I have all the supplies except the practice sheets. (Mod edited.) Thanks!

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 28

if in its too bothersome can you email me too? kvsantana@hotmail, i have all the stuff minus the practice sheets and i wanted to get a head start before next weeks class. I know a lot of us are asking for them, is there a way to put the link in the thread. thank for your help, have a wonderful day.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 28

Hmm...This made me think of something. I have the old sheets (really old icon_lol.gif ) not the ones from the newest kit, and don't need them so was going to let a friend have them for an upcoming class. But....can the old sheets be used for the new classes? I know Wilton just released new kits and some things are different now.

samona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samona Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 28

If you purchased the cake decorating basics kit or the new ultimate tool caddy then the sheets are in there.

Katie1985 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 28

there in lies my problem. I took the old wilton classes so i have all the tools i need. I didnt want to buy the kit just for the work sheets. is there somewhere i can buy just the worksheets?

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 28

Aren't the new practice sheets in the new lesson books?

Katie1985 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 28

the practice sheets dont come in the books anymore, now the practice sheets come with the kit.

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 28

I found them. icon_redface.gif

They were under a couple of things in one of my storage tubs I use for my classes. icon_cool.gif

sweetteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetteacher Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #11 of 28

Katie and believer: I hope you won't be disappointed. The equipment used in the new courses is different from the old ones. For example, in Decorating Basics, leaves are piped with tip 352 not tip 67. The old courses didn't use the button flower press or the calla lily former as two more examples. Does the store where your classes are held also sell the course workbooks? I'm not suggesting you buy the book, but you could look through it to see exactly what equipment you will need. Your instructor should be anticipating the problems the students will have. I have photocopied the practice sheets for the Flowers and Cake Design students who took the old Course I because the practice sheets are only available in the Decorating Basics kit at this time, but I won't be supplying them with any other equipment.--Carol

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 28

Hey everyone,

Just found out you can get the practice sheets at the student website http://wiltonmethod.wilton.com.

I'm a WMI and I think people will really like the new classes. There's a bunch of fun new things and clarification on some older techniques.

Good luck!

PS To the original poster, sorry this is a bit late! icon_rolleyes.gif

Katie1985 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:59am
post #13 of 28

thanks jqorso, i had looked online before but didnt find them, so im glad you did!

KatyP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyP Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #14 of 28

Is the wmi board for instructors? i'd love to be added also icon_smile.gif

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #15 of 28

Yes, it is for instructors. WMI stands for Wilton Method Instructor.

KatyP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyP Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:43am
post #16 of 28

Thanks...i knew WMI, i just wasnt aware of the board icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyP

Is the wmi board for instructors? i'd love to be added also icon_smile.gif

Yes it is a WMI board only. It is a great place to go for ideas, suggestions, and to talk about problems.

You can subscribe to it by emailing [email protected]

Selina (sweetcakes here) will be able to get you set up after she asks you a few questions. icon_smile.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm
post #18 of 28

I just took a look at the new practice sheets. Did they change the tip type that they use for the basket weave?

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #19 of 28

They did, they are now using a star tip to do it. The old book showed this variation under the techinque.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:55am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetteacher

Katie and believer: I hope you won't be disappointed. The equipment used in the new courses is different from the old ones. For example, in Decorating Basics, leaves are piped with tip 352 not tip 67. .--Carol

Well that's dumb. When I took my course 1 my instructor taught us how to use both so we could see the difference in the type of leaves they make and different ideas on application.

Sandy C.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Quote:

Katie and believer: I hope you won't be disappointed. The equipment used in the new courses is different from the old ones. For example, in Decorating Basics, leaves are piped with tip 352 not tip 67. .--Carol

Well that's dumb. When I took my course 1 my instructor taught us how to use both so we could see the difference in the type of leaves they make and different ideas on application.

Sandy C.

I'll disagree with the change of the tips for leaves as being dumb. As a WMI, I have always shown the 352, as well as the 67. Why? Because the 352 makes a much pretty leaf with a perfect point, not a leave that is split. I always opened the student's 67 tips, but still with out that perfect consistancy, it splits.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #22 of 28

The practice sheets also come with the practice board - since I had everything when I took the classes, all I had to buy was the board.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Quote:

Sandy C.

I'll disagree with the change of the tips for leaves as being dumb. As a WMI, I have always shown the 352, as well as the 67. Why? Because the 352 makes a much pretty leaf with a perfect point, not a leave that is split. I always opened the student's 67 tips, but still with out that perfect consistancy, it splits.

I'm sorry. What I was giving my opinion about was chaging rather than including. To change means to use one rather than another, exclusion. Both leave tips are different and IMHO both should be taught side by side, not just one, as stated by Carol.

Sandy

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #24 of 28

But they both weren't orginally taught either. Though I show both in class, and though there are other instructors that show both, the 67 was the only one that was really suppose to be taught. It is kinda of like changing the basketweave tip with the star tip in the new stuff. Both are shown in the book, (new and old), but we only show one tip in class.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #25 of 28

Texas Sugar, I have taken all the Wilton Courses and really enjoyed them. I am curious, are the "new" courses that much different?I'm thinking of taking them again to get some new ideas, my question is this, is it worth taking the courses again? Thanks for any input. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

Texas Sugar, I have taken all the Wilton Courses and really enjoyed them. I am curious, are the "new" courses that much different?I'm thinking of taking them again to get some new ideas, my question is this, is it worth taking the courses again? Thanks for any input. icon_smile.gif

The below is what I have posted to my students and tell them when I am asked this question. I do have a student now that has taken my classes and is taking them again. I do plan to ask her at the end her thoughts on them and if she was glad she did them again.

----- ----- -----

Ive been asked if taking the new refreshed courses is worth it, if you have taken Wiltons previous courses. That is a hard question for me to answer since everyone has their own reasons for taking the classes. I did sit down and type up a rough list of what is included in the new classes, noting what things are repeated from the past courses and what things are new. I hope this gives you more information to decide if you would like to come back and join me for the refreshed courses.

My honest opinion is if you have the time, want to learn more, and can afford it, then why not take the classes. Even if there are repeats it is just reinforcing what you have learned before.

The new Course kits are $34.99 a kit, and there will be addition supplies need, just like the previous classes.

Introducing Wiltons Refreshed Curriculum!
Below are some highlights from the Refreshed Courses

Decorating Basics:
Making icing and icing your Cake (C1)
Filling and Icing Cupcakes *NEW*
Stars (C1)
Writing (C1)
Leaves (C1)
Dots (C1)
Elongated Shapes *NEW*
Rosettes (C2)
Shells (C1)
ZigZag (C1)
Drop Flowers (C1)
Shaggy Mums *NEW*
Pompom Flower *NEW*
Ribbon Rose *NEW*

Flower & Cake Design:
Fondant Button Flower *NEW*
Gum Paste Pansy *NEW*
Apple Blossom (C2)
Primrose (C2)
Daffodil (C2)
Violet (C2)
Lily (C3)
Rosebud (C2)
Wilton Rose (C1)
Reverse Shell (C2)
Basket Weave (C2)
Basic Principles of Floral cake Design *NEW*

Gum Paste & Fondant:
Gum Paste Flowers:
Rose (C3)
Calla Lilies *NEW*
Carnations (F/GP)
Daisies (F/GP)
Mums *NEW*
Covering a cake with fondant (C3 & F/GP)
Covering a cake board with fondant (F/GP)
Bow *NEW*
Fondant Eyelet *NEW*
Fondant Ruffle Border *NEW*
Ball Border (F/GP)
Embellished Rope Borders (F/GP)

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #27 of 28

Thanks Texas Sugar! Appreciate your response. I'll probably be taking one or two again. They really are fun classes! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm
post #28 of 28

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%