Chocolate Frosting

Baking By officialamysue Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm by Occther

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 7

So i'm out of powder cocoa, but i have a lot of chocolate chips. how can i make buttercream with that??

6 replies
lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 7

Some chocolate chips have an additive that makes them difficult to melt. If these do not you should be OK. I've never added melted chocolate to Buttercream but I have added it to mousse and the main problem you get is that when you add how melted chocolate to something cold it will seize up and create chunks. You need to carefully temper the chocolate in. How you do that is melt the chocolate and set it on the counter. Have the buttercream out on the counter too. Wait until they are bote the same temperature or pretty close. Add one spoon full of the buttercream to the chocolate. This will cool the chocolate a little. Add another spoonful and stir. By now both bowls should be pretty close to the same temp. Mix the chocolate into the buttercream. You might have better results with a piece of a nice chocolate bar instead of the chips.

CC22504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CC22504 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 7

I've used the baking chocolate bars as well. You really have to be kinda of an expert to tempur chocolate..It seems like a big headache to me when you can just use chocolate bars.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 7

i make ganache with chips and add that to my IMBC.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 7

duplicate post icon_redface.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialamysue

So i'm out of powder cocoa, but i have a lot of chocolate chips. how can i make buttercream with that??

Melt them in the microwave (stir at 30 second intervals until melted) and let the chocolate cool a bit before adding to your bc. The chocolate should be cool but still pourable. You'll have to add a little extra milk when adding chocolate. I just add a little at a time until I have the right consistency.

I use about 6 ounces of chocolate for my recipe of buttercream. I never use cocoa when making chocolate bc. I prefer the results of melted chocolate much better. I prefer to use unsweetened chocolate squares but the chocolate chips work just fine. I've never had any problem using them to make chocolate bc.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 7

Ditto what others said. I use Ghiradelli 60% chips - melted, add hot cream to make ganache and add it to my buttercream. Yummm!! I am not as fond of the cocoa recipes either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%