Ants!

Decorating By Zamode Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 10:34am by costumeczar

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 14

I cannot find the old ant thread, can anyone help me please? I also, for today, cannot leave the house as I have no vehicle so I am stuck. Found a decent amount of them this morning. Every time I do a search, it comes up page not found. . . please help! icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

13 replies
amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 14

Vinger works great!! Wipe it on your counters and window seals and door entries! icon_smile.gif It may take a couple of wipe downs but soon the ants will be gone!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 14

Terro ant bait, you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Nothing works better.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 14

I second the terro, I had some ants in my office on Sunday and by the end of the day they were eating the terro, and the next day they're gone.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 14

yeah i would get the bait, the usually take it off back to the nest and it sorts them all out, my brother had them recently in his home and we got some ant bait from the DIY store, after 3 days they were all gone

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 14

Have you got any Borax in your laundry room? Put a line of that out where you see them, and where you think they are getting in. The ingest it and it dries them out, killing them. They also carry some back to the nest. It's not a final solution, but it could lessen the problem until you can get out for the Tero.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #7 of 14

I also recommend the Terro Ant Bait - it is the best stuff and really works.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #8 of 14

Sadly no Borax but I did do the vinegar, with what I had left. Is the Terro a trap, liquid, powder? I have a dog so I don't want anything laying around outside that she could get into. . . . thanks!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:21am
post #9 of 14

I've heard good things about Terro, but alas, you can't get it in Canada. It's supposed to be safe for pets and children. Do you know where the ants are getting in? I've had ant problems the last couple of summers. There was a hole in the wall the first summer, which I just taped over. This summer, I think they are crawling through a crack under the front door which is usually blocked by an old towel to keep out the draft. If you have lots, definitely put out some ant traps or bait or whatever you have and let them take them hope to poison their nests.

My cousin had an ant problem too, and you could see trails in the lawn from them. She tried all the poisons and everything, and she said she finally got so mad one day they just burnt the whole area! Obviously, not a great solution for indoors.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:35am
post #10 of 14

make a honey trap. they are attracted to the honey but then they get stuck in the stickiness of it.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:42am
post #11 of 14

baby powder along your door, etc, should work, too. Allegedly. I haven't tried it yet. But apparently it's too silky for them to walk through, and they won't get in.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:52am
post #12 of 14

what ever you do, don't kill them. sweep them out the door. catch them on a sitcky trap. BUT DONT KILL THEM. If you kill them MORE will show up !! Ants and bees give off a pheramone when they are killed, that basically screams help me! the nest is in danger! and more will show up!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:31am
post #13 of 14

Terro works great.

You could mix boric acid and powdered sugar and put it in caps from soda bottles, and put them in your cabinets...but Terro is a lot easier.

Also, if you have a spot where ants are coming in, you can get a tube of caulk and fill in the hole.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:34am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

Sadly no Borax but I did do the vinegar, with what I had left. Is the Terro a trap, liquid, powder? I have a dog so I don't want anything laying around outside that she could get into. . . . thanks!

You can get it in all forms. There's a granular one that you can shake onto the ground outside where the nest is, and they carry it back to the nest and it kills the whole colony. The liquid traps are enclosed, and you can put them where the trail of ants is, and they'll go inside it to get the bait. You can also get liquid in a dropper bottle, but it sounds like you want to avoid that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%