I Know Another Ganache And Fondant Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 3:01am by mamawrobin

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:30am
post #1 of 14

I will be making my cousins wedding cake in a week and the bottom tier is chocolate cake with vanilla mousse, chocolate butter cream and chocolate fondant. I was reading all the posts about ganache instead of butter cream under fondant. My aunt doesn't like fondant because it's to sweet. If I used the ganache wouldn't it make it even sweeter? I know she asked for milk chocolate for the cheesecake wrapped strawberries I am making. Do any of you use milk chocolate for ganache instead of semi sweet? I don't really like the tartness you get from semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate. I know for the bridal shower cake they peeled off the fondant and ate the butter cream. I am just afraid that if they peel off the fondant all they will be left with is cake because the ganache will come off with it. TIA

13 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:35am
post #2 of 14

I use only semi-sweet chocolate for my ganache. Milk chocolate is too sweet for my taste. The semi-sweet is the perfect balance imo.

sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:42am
post #3 of 14

Thank you Mamarobin. Do you think ganache is to sweet under fondant if someone doesn't like fondant in the first place. TIA

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:53am
post #4 of 14

I always use a chocolate with around 55-60% cocoa solids - the cream in the ganache will take some of the bitterness of the chocolate away so it is very smooth and not too sweet. If you use ganache under fondant you can role the fondant a lot thinner and it melts into the ganache in a way so it is more palatable.

sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:56am
post #5 of 14

Anyone have a good recipe for ganache? I usually just use 12 ounces chocolate, 1 cup cream, 2 tablespoons butter and a dash of vanilla.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:02am
post #6 of 14

I only use chocolate and cream. The ratios vary according to the type of chocolate. You need more chocolate to cream the lighter your chocolate (ie white "chocolate" needs a high chocolate:cream ratio).

For ganache under fondant (how I do all my cakes) I use 2 parts dark 60% cocoa chocolate to 1 part full fat (35%) cream.

You can make any kind of ganache variant you like...I make dark, milk, white, 1/2 dark and 1/2 milk, and also 1/2 milk 1/2 white...plus all the other sorts of flavours like strawberry and choc/orange, or chocmint.

Hope this helps.

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:12am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Anyone have a good recipe for ganache? I usually just use 12 ounces chocolate, 1 cup cream, 2 tablespoons butter and a dash of vanilla.

I use 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 tbsp. butter, 2 tbsp. granulated sugar. Heat cream, butter & sugar to boiling pour over chocolate. My favorite recipe for ganache. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:13am
post #8 of 14
Quote:

Thank you Mamarobin. Do you think ganache is to sweet under fondant if someone doesn't like fondant in the first place. TIA

Absolutely not. It's not as sweet as buttercream. thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:17am
post #9 of 14

Thank you.

sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:22am
post #10 of 14

Mamawrobin forgot to ask you one more question. Do you just let yours cool completely before frosting or do you chill in the fridge first? You have tried ganache under fondant before? Sometimes trying new things especially on a wedding cake can be scary. I just want to make a good impression it's for my cousin.

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:44am
post #11 of 14
Quote:

Mamawrobin forgot to ask you one more question. Do you just let yours cool completely before frosting or do you chill in the fridge first? You have tried ganache under fondant before? Sometimes trying new things especially on a wedding cake can be scary. I just want to make a good impression it's for my cousin.

Ganache should be allowed to sit for 24 hours at room tempature before using. Yes I've used ganache under fondant many many times.

I ALWAYS make my ganache a day or two before I'm going to use it. I also never refrigerate my ganache. It's okay to do so. I just don't like refrigerating chocolate. icon_smile.gif After I fill and cover my cake with ganache I use the hot knife method to smooth it. I prefer using it under fondant myself. It's firm and offers a better "canvas" for fondant.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 14

I use it right away if I'm going to glaze a cake with it. If it needs to be cooled off it goes in the fridge. Here's a good link for basic ganache info http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Ganache should be allowed to sit for 24 hours at room tempature before using. Yes I've used ganache under fondant many many times.

I ALWAYS make my ganache a day or two before I'm going to use it. I also never refrigerate my ganache. It's okay to do so. I just don't like refrigerating chocolate. icon_smile.gif After I fill and cover my cake with ganache I use the hot knife method to smooth it. I prefer using it under fondant myself. It's firm and offers a better "canvas" for fondant.

why is this? u obviously know something I dont! I have been using mine right at room temp and never had a prob...

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

why is this? u obviously know something I dont! I have been using mine right at room temp and never had a prob...

I use mine at "room tempature" as well. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%