Would Appreciate Help Proofing My New Website ...

Decorating By JaimeAnn Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 6:15pm by MJ2008

JaimeAnn Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 46

Hello Everyone,

I could really use some help proofing my new website before its official launch. Any feedback is appreciated, good or bad!

I still have to edit and upload a lot of photos into my galleries but just want to get a feel for the site before I load them all.

Thanks for the Help!

45 replies
Motta Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:15am
post #2 of 46

My first impression was that the color scheme on the home page is wonderful - soft pink and chocolate brown is classic.

I like that your photos are enlarged as soon as you click on them.

Your pricing chart is daunting - so much math to do to figure out the price! I guess I just prefer simple answers to the question of "how much will this cost?". I'd rather the baker did the math and tell me. But, it's just me.

Otherwise, I get an old-fashioned, good vibe from the vintage photos on your pages. Makes me think your cakes will taste very good!

On the blog, you spelled "really" wrong in the upper paragraph.

Good luck with your business!! I'm sure you'll find much success.

p.s. I'm also working out of a rented commercial kitchen so we'll have to chat sometime about the pros/cons.

MLand Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:25am
post #3 of 46

I think it looks great!

JaimeAnn Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:28am
post #4 of 46

Thanks for the feedback.

I was allready thinking of leaving off the pricing chart and just givivng the "Cakes start at this or that for this or that" type of thing, and just do the calculations for the orders when the time comes.

I have to go change my spelling now ahahahahahahahah

Thanks Again!

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:31am
post #5 of 46

The random capitalization on the CakeShoppeInfo page looks funny.

"...something completely Unique?"
"...background in Art ...
"...to give You a Personal Custom design"
"...give not only the best Looking desserts...."
"...working from a rented Commercial kitchen..."
"...make your special Occassion Truly Special"
(occasion only has one "S")

I do like the colors and the overall look. It reminds me of the soda shop motifs of the early 20's or 40's!

mcaulir Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:40am
post #6 of 46

Can I be a bit picky? The random capital letters everywhere made it a bit difficult to read. You might be trying to emphasise those words, but the English teacher in me gets a bit stressed when I see so many capitals everywhere. Hope that's the kind of feedback you wanted! thumbs_up.gif

mcaulir Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:41am
post #7 of 46

Oops, too late!

CWR41 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:57am
post #8 of 46

Looks great!

for your next Special Occassion. = occasion
for a Birthday Celebration I will
(for a birthday celebration, I will)
At this time all items
(At this time, all items)
Currently I am
(Currently, I am)
Commercial Kitchen, So = so
my own full service bakery
(my own full-service bakery)
I hope to help make your next Occassion = occasion

Flavor Choices:
"Signature Combinations" (don't force justify column)
Raspbery & Lemon Swirl
(Raspberry & Lemon Swirl)
Death by Chocolate - Coc. chip Mousse. (s/b "Chocolate"?)

check my calander = calendar
once my calander is full I cannot accept more orders
(once my calendar is full, I cannot accept more orders.)

Pricing: (choose different font -- "t"s are too small making it look like words are misspelled.)

what we make of it , so lets
(what we make of it, so let's)

JaimeAnn Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:13am
post #9 of 46

Thank you all, so much!

I have made all of the changes that you all suggested, except for the pricing chart. I am going to change that and replace it before the site goes live.

Thank Again!

CWR41 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:11am
post #10 of 46

I don't know if this is a new typo, or something I missed the first time...
filled with Llme mousse = Lime

(6 or 7 of the combinations are still force justified.)

(there's still an extra space between "it" and the comma on:
what we make of it, so let's)

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:09pm
post #11 of 46

I also liked the feel of the site...I did have a hard time with the small font on the pricing page but you did mention you are changing that...Also maybe use "Pricing" as a header instead of under the ordering header...I was looking specifically for pricing and happened to stumble upon it in the ordering area..Most people want 2 things in a site..."Where are the pictures..I want to see what I am buying"..which you have and "How much"!! I also felt very over whelmed at the Flavor,Icing,Specialty choices..I think you give way to many choices but that is JMO..icon_smile.gif I think it makes people want to try them all but want a tasting first to decide and that can be a whole new ball game! Great site..You will do well and your cakes are Fabulous!!

JaimeAnn Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 46
Originally Posted by CWR41

I don't know if this is a new typo, or something I missed the first time...
filled with Llme mousse = Lime

(6 or 7 of the combinations are still force justified.)

(there's still an extra space between "it" and the comma on:
what we make of it, so let's)

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Llme= I just goofed when changing the Capitalization

I don't undertand what "force justified" is

space after "it" fixed

Thanks Again!

alvarezmom Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 46

I really like the pictures (top) you have in the gallery section. It does have a old fashion feel to it. I also really like the section what has the flavors listed! I love how you add the comination section! Allot of people get so crazed when they have to think of their own cominations! That's a very good idea!

*Flavor Choices--Combination section--MARGARITA---LIme

metria Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 46

the pricing portion shouldn't be an image, it should be typed out like the rest of the website. it makes it easier for people to search your page.

stuff i'd prefer:

- drop the asterisks on the home page
- have the cakeshoppe info page text on left or full justification
- remove the quotes from "Signature Combinations" on the flavor choices page
- instead of "Individual Choices" and "Signature Combinations" side-by-side, have the "Individual Choices" on top and "Signature Combinations" below that.

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 46

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't find where you are located. I saw a bunch of cities listed but I have no idea what state you are in.

dchockeyguy Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 46

The business card on the contact page is pretty darn small. You should make that text and not an image, and make it larger. It's very hard to read.

On my screen, it looks like you've used 3 different font colors on the front page. I'd reduce it to two or it becomes too distracting.

CWR41 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #17 of 46
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I don't undertand what "force justified" is.

On your combination flavors, your description (or text) is aligned at both the left and right side within a block, just like newspaper columns. It causes the words to stretch out with lots of spaces between one another at times just to make it to the end of the "block" therefore forcing all of the lines to end aligned on the righthand side as well as the left. If the text is not force justified, each line breaks or continues on the next line naturally without matching up to the above line(s) at the end or on the right margin. (if I'm making any sense!)

JaimeAnn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #18 of 46

Now I get it. icon_smile.gif

Ok I am going to go make some more changes, Thanks everyone!

It is really great to have so many eyes looking it over. I have been working on it for 2 weeks and am really sick of seeing those pages. hahahahah

Not to mention I am using Dial-up access and it takes FOREVER to do anything!

Thank You All!

jemchina Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #19 of 46

Love the design of the website, very neatly organized tabs, to find what you are looking for. I'll admit I did not proof it as well as the others, but I have one suggestion.

Your signature cakes sound yummy and amazing, maybe in the future you can include a picture of a slice of the cake, that way people can see how yummy it looks.

As some one that likes to bake I can totally visualize it by your descriptions, but perhaps customers can't. It might help generate more orders for those special combinations.

good luckicon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #20 of 46

Hello, everyone!

I think I have made all the nessecary changes to improve the site. I still have to do the pricing chart. That should be done today.

I got held up with some rediculous drama about one of the cookie pictures I had on the site.

I was contacted and told to remove it because it was her design. Whatever!!!!!!!

Anyways , Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

LuvLyrics Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #21 of 46

I really like the look and colors, as far as the grammar, I'll need help in that area myself, so I think it's nice that everyone here has taken the time to comment. Now in my opinion, is there anything you can do on the white background that comes up every time we open a new page and at the home page?, to me it feels like it's on the way of your beautiful page layout.. like a pop up window that you want to close... Not sure if I am explaining myself...

I really like the little pics with the flavors etc, it has an elegant classic feeling to it, and I really enjoyed looking at it, I think it speaks of your delicate work ! Good luck, can't wait to see the final product.

nikinoonie Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #22 of 46

Under Signature Combinations (flavors page):
spelling on Texas cake: cheesecake, not cheesescake
spelling on death by chocolate: decadent, not decedent

Good luck with your business!

JaimeAnn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #23 of 46

JemChina- thanks for the suggestion. I have been planning on making some of them and cutting and including pics. I am usually not the one cutting the cakes and don't usually have pics of the "inside" of the cake. I don't really eat cake so I don't make them for home . ahahhaha After making so many I really don't want to eat any.

LuvLyrics- Thanks for taking the time to look! I cant do anything about the white background, it is just part of the web-builder.

nikinoonie-Thanks , I missed those!

Iamamonster9 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #24 of 46

JaimeAnn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:12pm
post #25 of 46

Hahhahah Hi Renee!

LuvLyrics Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #26 of 46

Hey I was the only one who posted about it... it must be my OCD/easy to distract mind !! LOL... I think it will be beautiful when you are done !!!

JaimeAnn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #27 of 46

That should be CDO cause thats in alphabetical order! hahaahahahahahah
Talk about OCD! LOL

Pacific Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #28 of 46

In the flavors section - Combinations you have capitalized Mousse and Ganache which is not required. A trademark symbol must be put beside the Oreo word as it is trademark otherwise use the word cookie.
Column Heading are unbalanced and should be the same: since Signature Combinations uses two lines - use two lines for Individual Choices also. This will balance the page as there is so much on it. I like that you offer so many choices, but I think it may be over whelming to most.
I would also remove the - after the flavour (CND spelling sorry) titles in the combinations as you used semi colons on the other side either use them again or omitt all together.
To fill up the white space use a photo or saying or something to use up 1/3 of the space. White space is good as it rests the eye.

That is one page. I do desktop publishing on the side so I get a bit picky, but you are representing your business so perfection is required.

bennett5 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #29 of 46

I think it looks AMAZING !!!! Do you mind me asking, how long did it take you to get it to this point? My husband bought me a site on godaddy and Ive been working or trying to work on it for weeks. I cant get anywhere w/it! Its so frustrating because I thought I did my homework on "easy website building" and even did an unofficial pole on here to ask other cakers what their experiences had been. Lots of people said godaddy and now Im stuck w/either never getting it off the ground or paying someone to do it for me....

Pacific Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #30 of 46

Ordering info page. Try to use the full word Information. Not everyone knows the slang we become use to using.
There is a space after the word availability.
Too much space between the last word and the title Servings.

I would write the following:

'prior to "the" event' and at least two weeks for all other occasions. To ensure availability, I recommend that you contact me as soon as you are thinking about an event.

As I dedicate my full attention to orders at hand, it is impossible for me to take on extra orders when my calendar is full.

My cakes consist of 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling, usually resulting in a 6" tall cake tier. My serving sizes are slightly larger than the typical bakery size: 1.5"X 2"X 6" slice.

Cake Prices for basic design work

$2.75 per serving for Buttercream
$3.75 per serving for Fondant

Carved and/or sculpted cakes start at $5.00 per serving

Cupcakes start at $2.00 each with a 1 dozen minimum order.

Decorated sugar cookies start at $3.00 each.

Signature and flavored fillings beyond buttercream are $0.25 extra per serving.

Consultations for specific designs will determine the actual price per serving.

Ok that is the second page. Remember to keep it simple. You want people to contact you not look at the web page and decide that you are too expensive or above their needs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%