Fountains And Pillars

Decorating By Grandma3 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 5:55am by redheadfairy2003

Grandma3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grandma3 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:34am
post #1 of 3

Have fountains and pillars completely gone by the wayside?They are so beautiful!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:10am
post #2 of 3

I did at least a couple a year.

I know some cakers refuse to do them. But when I started doing cakes, this was the ONLY wedding cake design being used, so I cut my cake-decorating-teeth on them. I think a cake should be the grand centerpiece of the reception, so anything that makes a cake taller and grander is A-OK by me! icon_biggrin.gif

I wrote in one article my theory on cake height. In my years of observation, when the economy is down, cake height is up ..... late 70's / early 80's, just coming out the recession, massive unemployment .... fountain cakes were the big "in" thing. Just recently, when gas spiked at $4/gallon, auto industry had massive layoffs and I started gettign more requests for fountain cakes. When the economy is up, cake height is down ..... mid to late 80's, fountains went away but pillars remained. As me moved into the 2000's, the "short squatty stacked" cakes became the norm.

Just an interesting observation! icon_rolleyes.gif

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:55am
post #3 of 3

I have a wedding cake in July and it is 3 tiers and will have pillars used in it.... I don't care for them much but but what ever the bride and groom wants is fine with me . I want it to be a very happy day .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%