Having Trouble With Fondant And Need Some Advice Please.

Decorating By Mikeb5554 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 7:31am by mamawrobin

Mikeb5554 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikeb5554 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #1 of 7

Hi! I am new to fondant work and have tried the Wilton fondant and found it fairly easy to work with, but I really don't like the taste of it. Someone recommended Satin Ice fondant and I got a tub and used it to cover a tier cake. I love the taste of this brand, but I had a terrible time getting it to adhere to the buttercream iced cake. I kept getting big air bubbles, especially in the larger layer. When I tried to smooth it out, it cracked and I had to start all over. What am I doing wrong or can someone offer a novice some advice? Thanks!!

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 7

Did you mist your buttercream with water, or apply something else, in order to help the fondant adhere? If the buttercream crusts at all, this is an important step.

If the Satin Ice is a little challenging, you can mix 1/3 Wilton w/ 2/3 Satin Ice and get the easy workability of the Wilton with the great taste of the Satin Ice. I love Satin Ice, but if it's on the soft side, I mix it with Wilton and the results are great.

HTH
Rae

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #3 of 7

That is why I always ice with the buttercream right before I put the fondant on - that way there is plenty of adherance (is that a word?) I never have any troubles with air bubbles. (I also never refrigerate the cakes I do either)

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 7

You can mist your buttercream with a little bit of water, or I've heard that some people will dissolve a bit of fondant in water and use that as glue. Or, I think you can use a super thin layer of corn syrup.

I've never gotten bubbles in my Satin Ice, but I have gotten "elephant skin" (I think it's called?), where it starts to look scaly. I just purchased my first tub of Fondarific and I'm excited to use that! It's supposed to have unlimited work time and it tastes amazing![/code]

Mikeb5554 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikeb5554 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:24am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the tips everyone..I will definately try these suggestions. Also, I will look for that brand of fondant, I have never heard it it.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:09am
post #6 of 7

Mike go to fondantsource they have the best prices even cheaper than the company that makes it. You can go to the Fondarific site click on the cart symbol and order a sample pack for 6.00 includes shipping. You get six 2 ounce flavors to try. I love the coffee, chocolate, butter cream and orange. Didn't care for the regular vanilla flavor. I have five pounds of the chocolate waiting for it's debit on June 11th. I am excited about trying it since my aunt doesn't like fondant I hope this will change her mind.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:31am
post #7 of 7

[quote="Mikeb5554"] but I had a terrible time getting it to adhere to the buttercream iced cake.

I use a pastry brush and apply a thin coat of simple syrup (equal amounts of sugar/water) to my cake before applying fondant.

Planet Cake has a great tutorial on youtube "How to cover a cake with fondant" and she uses this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%