Help!!!!

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm by mamawrobin

ohayr639 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #1 of 29

I know people have posted this and I am sure there are threads on it as well as the Wilton guide, but I need a cake to serve 50 people, including the 10 in square I have in the oven what other sizes should I use? Thanks!

28 replies
Loucinda Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 29

edited - those were the stupid party cake sizes....ignore.

A 10" square serves 50. (2 layers - wilton chart)

ohayr639 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #3 of 29

Not that I doubt you but the book I have says it feeds 24. . .

luvbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 29

I use this guide I find it a bit more generous than Wilton. It says a 10 inch square serves 40.
http://www.baking911.com/cakes/numberofservings_guide.htm

Chef_Rinny Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 29

It depends on what you are giving as a serving. I use the party serving of 1.5"x2". By that serving size a 10" square would serve approx 30. An 8" would give you an additional 20 servings for a total of 50.

ohayr639 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #6 of 29

Thanks so much!

leily Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

24 is probably for a 2" layer. The 50 servings that was mentioned above would be for a 4" tall cake.

7yyrt Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 29

A standard size serving is either 2x2x2inches or 1x2x4inches.

cakeville82 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

If you already knew then why did you ask?

And whats so hard about going to the Wilton website and looking at the chart?

I'm so confused as to why people ask questions like this.

Loucinda Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #10 of 29

Here is the chart 99% of cake bakers go by - 10" square cake - (2 - 10" layers) is 50 servings.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

luvbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #11 of 29

She probably asked because there are so many different opinions on cake sizes and serving guides and a VERY wide range as well. It never hurts to ask the people that don't want to answer shouldn't.

Loucinda Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #12 of 29

I have that chart printed out and laminated so I can refer to it as needed! (and I keep a copy in my paperwork for tastings too) It is a valuable tool for those who make cakes. thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:37am
post #13 of 29

I don't understand why some people on here have to be so nasty. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. It's really easy to hit the back button if something upsets you or you don't like the question. As for the cake servings I usually go by the Wilton Party cake chart. It's also going to depend on who cuts the cake and how big they think a slice should be. From my experience people don't think a 1x2 in slice is big enough. Just to be on the safe side I usually take the amount Wilton lists and cut it in half for party cakes. They tend to eat larger portions than someone at a wedding. Hope you find your answer. And by the way you didn't ask a stupid question.

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:40am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have that chart printed out and laminated so I can refer to it as needed! (and I keep a copy in my paperwork for tastings too) It is a valuable tool for those who make cakes. thumbs_up.gif

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

ohayr639 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 29

Cakeville: Maybe you should chill out and if you don't like my questions don't respond. It is people like you that make me very sad to know that my daughter has to grow up in a world that treats people like you do when it really didn't even have anything to do with you.

Everyone else who is helpful and productive, thank you VERY much! I really appreciate it.

flamingobaker Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #16 of 29

This is why I give a range of number of servings. I think it is difficult for the average person to get the wilton wedding servings out of a round cake. I explain the difference in sizes and tell them how to cut the cake. Most people are still surprised you don't cut it into wedges!
I round the numbers and use that as a range.

FullHouse Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #17 of 29

I like to use the Wilton party servings chart when figuring, though the industry standard does seem to be the wedding serving chart. For me, 10" sq. would be 30 servings & I would add the 8" (20) to get 50 (as a previous post said). HTH.

ohayr639 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #18 of 29

I am sorry that you feel that way. . .

Thanks again to everyone else who was helpful when I needed it. As many people have posted servings vary and I will make sure to pay closer attention to what I am asking so that I don't waste anyone's time.

FullHouse Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #19 of 29

Personally speaking, I don't feel at all like you wasted my time (I guess that's obvious since I answered your question icon_smile.gif). I used to be very confused as to which charts were best to use until I found this site.

ohayr639 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #20 of 29

Thanks FullHouse! I really appreciate it!

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

This is why I give a range of number of servings. I think it is difficult for the average person to get the wilton wedding servings out of a round cake. I explain the difference in sizes and tell them how to cut the cake. Most people are still surprised you don't cut it into wedges!
I round the numbers and use that as a range.

It's very easy for anyone to get the wilton wedding servings out of a round cake if you give them a cutting chart like this http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html The wilton chart is pretty much the industry standard and if you're charging per serving that is the one I would use. If they want to cut bigger slices then they need to buy more cake.

Chasey Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #22 of 29

I agree tiggy2, showing them Debi's diagram is VERY helpful because your average household has NO idea a party cake isn't cut into wedges when determing the serving size.

BTW, I'm all for people buying more cake to give me a decent slice. Those wedding pieces are merely a tease!! icon_cry.gif

ohayr639 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:25pm
post #23 of 29

You know what's funny about the small cake slices? I don't even like to eat much cake anymore since I started making them!

Thanks for your help!

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #24 of 29

1x2x4 is actually a good size slice of cake.

Chasey Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:53am
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I must be greedy, LOL! I agree with you however, if that slice of cake isn't the best you've ever tasted! Then I am fine with my standard size. icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #26 of 29

Cake is a dessert, not a meal icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I agree. I don't cut pieces of cake to serve at home any bigger than that.

Chasey Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #28 of 29

I told you I must be greedy, LOL!! icon_lol.gif I also don't bake for a living so cake is a treat around here, not a mainstay.

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

I told you I must be greedy, LOL!! icon_lol.gif I also don't bake for a living so cake is a treat around here, not a mainstay.

I am SICK of cake, icing and fondant. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%