What Would You Charge For This Wedding Cake?

Decorating By andysprite Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 4:22am by dguerrant

arsen102506 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsen102506 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #61 of 82

Maybe its a quite expensive but its doesn't mean necessarily be expensive unlike a 5 feet tall cake that has a bunch of special designs.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

The cake is just lovely.

I'd like to ask a question and I hope it is not out of line:

I would really like to see the line item budget that you gave to her. I am very new at this and was shocked by the cost of supplies.

Is there a way you could post that? (If it's not too personal)

No problem. This budget was before she downsized to the cake in the pic. Here's my email to her:

Sarah,
Here is a copy of the cake budget. All prices are not including tax or shipping. I used my most recent receipts to determine the supply costs. I tried to be as specific as possible so that you could see where it was all going. Please let me know if you have any questions. Like I said yesterday, I am willing to put $150 toward the cost since that is what I had anticipated spending on the cake based on the original picture you had sent.

Wedding Cake Budget

Cake ingredients: Cake mix -- 30 @ $1.18 = $35.40
    Sour cream -- 5 @ $1.97 = $9.85
    Pudding -- 15 @ .56 = $4.70
    Shortening -- 2 @ 8.62 = $17.24
    Veg. oil -- 1 gallon @ 8.97 = $8.97
    Eggs -- 8 dozen @ 1.67 = $13.36
    Powdered Sugar -- 20 @ 2.04 = 40.80
    Butter -- 10 lbs. @ 2.18 = $21.80
     SUBTOTAL $152.12

Fondant: $120 (40 lbs. of pure white fondant that will have to be ordered online)
Cake board, supports, etc.: $40 +/-
Cake pans: 18 x 3 -- $26.99 plus shipping
16 x 3 -- $22.99 plus shipping  
Misc. such as jewels, piping gel, luster dust, etc: $25  

SUBTOTAL $387.10
S/H CHARGES FOR FONDANT/PANS $47.87
TOTAL SUPPLY COST = $434.97 (estimated including shipping and handling, minus             taxes)

Regarding the cake pans: These sizes I use very little which is why I havent already purchased them. I dont have a problem at all paying for these in addition to the $150.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:40pm
post #63 of 82

Every bride should see this, just so I can watch their eyes pop when they see that it cost $40 just for the powdered sugar. Sometimes I think they believe it only costs us $40 to make the whole dang thing. I know it shocked the heck outta me when I started making cakes and watched as the money kept rolling and rolling out.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #64 of 82

Reminds me of the giant cake we had for our wedding of about 75 people. The darn thing must have served 600 - 700 people, it was huge! (Thinking back, we got one heck of a deal on that cake.)
-
It was exactly what we wanted, so the guests could take large slabs of cake home.

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysprite

Fondant: $120 (40 lbs. of pure white fondant that will have to be ordered online)

Thank you for posting the budget.

The fondant is only $3.00/lb? (I have only seen SI)

*ETA: Nevermind. I see that Satin Ice is $3.00/lb (facepalm)*

Stupid question #1: Is it the size that makes it so expensive?

Stupid question #2: Why is this cake so much more expensive than the luau cake in the other thread. (I am not calling anyone to task...I just really don't know)

andysprite Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #66 of 82

I purchase Satin Ice fondant through CakesBySam.com for around $60/20 lb. bucket.
For the record, I didn't use all of the fondant that was listed in the budget. And remember that the budget was for a cake even larger than what was in the picture. And I was charging her for pans that I didn't have (18" and 16" pans). If you take off some of the fondant cost and the pans it would reduce the cost by about $100ish.
Most of the expense came from the size of the cake. Each layer was baked in my 3" pans and they took a ton more batter! Each 14" x 3" pan took 4 cake mixes alone.

andysprite Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #67 of 82

p.s. The cake in the pic ended up costing about $250 for supplies and stand rental ($45). :{

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #68 of 82

I hope you get a really really nice thank you note and maybe a nice gift certificate enclosed icon_smile.gif Great job on the cake!!!

sweetiesbykim Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #69 of 82
Quote:

p.s. The cake in the pic ended up costing about $250 for supplies and stand rental ($45). :{

Sorry if this was posted, but I didn't see in the last few pages of posts the cake layer sizes that you ended up making -6, 10, 12, 14 inch? and were all the tiers 8" thick? I wonder how many servings that would actually be with such a thick cake -actually double thickness? I know it's not 148 that is listed in Earlene's cake serving chart! Maybe double that!!

andysprite Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Quote:

Sorry if this was posted, but I didn't see in the last few pages of posts the cake layer sizes that you ended up making -6, 10, 12, 14 inch? and were all the tiers 8" thick? I wonder how many servings that would actually be with such a thick cake -actually double thickness? I know it's not 148 that is listed in Earlene's cake serving chart! Maybe double that!!

Yes...the cakes were 6", 10", 12", and 14" and each stood 7" to 8" tall. They had about 100 guests at the wedding and we only served the 10" tier. There were easily 300 to 350 servings of cake.

sweetiesbykim Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #71 of 82
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Quote:

Yes...the cakes were 6", 10", 12", and 14" and each stood 7" to 8" tall. They had about 100 guests at the wedding and we only served the 10" tier. There were easily 300 to 350 servings of cake.

Thanks so much for your info!! I guess it makes sense that if the layer height is doubled, then the number of servings is doubled too icon_smile.gif

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #72 of 82

So sorry you went through this! Would love to see a pic of the final product!

7yyrt Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #73 of 82

See page 4, second post.

Welcome to CC!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #74 of 82

I would have added to that supply list

gas, electric, water, dish soap, paper towels, gas (for car) to get ingredients, and then estimated total TIME spent doing all of this.........and least list it and say..........the following things will be my gift to you!

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #75 of 82

Thanks 7yyrt icon_biggrin.gif. The cake came out beautiful! Funny, not only was it taller than her flowers, but it looked taller then HER!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #76 of 82

You did a fabulous job copying her inspiration picture! And she definitely got her super tall cake. I agree the cake looks taller than the bride!'

Wow. I sure hope they ate/gave away/froze some cake because that would break my heart to think it went into the trash, uneaten or too old to eat after a few days of trying!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:31pm
post #77 of 82

You did a great job! I am wondering and trying to read through the post, so how much did you end up charging her?

7yyrt Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #78 of 82

I hope they sent home huge chunks of cake for guests to share with those who couldn't come - (or who just like cake.)

I loved doing that.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #79 of 82

Beautiful cake!

Ain't family fun?? icon_biggrin.gif

I like the gift certificate idea, KHalsted - waaay better than the Friends/Family Freebie requests! That's a good one!

icon_smile.gif

andysprite Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #80 of 82

Thank you.

I ended up charging her $250. And yes, the cake was taller than the bride.
While I was cutting and serving, my cousin came up to get her a piece and stood there staring for a minute before she finally said "Wow. That is a lot of cake." Ya' think? lol

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:11am
post #81 of 82

lol.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 4:22am
post #82 of 82

I had a long time friend of my mothers (I did her daughter's wedding cake, my 2nd one ever nearly 10 years ago) to stop by and ask for my portfolio for her nieceto lookat, she is getting married in September. She picked out a huge elaborate cake and then when I quoted a price, she had sticker shock. She actually thought she was going to get the 'my mom's friend 10 years ago' price for her nieces upcoming wedding cake. What do people actually think? Obviously they don't!!!! I did her daughter's cake to get the experience and make a little money on the side, now I have the experience and very little time to make cakes and honestly I have no reason to cut her niece a deal, I don't even know her.

Give me your budget and I'll show you what you can get for that!!!!!!

Gotta love the 5 tier alternating shaped cake that feed 250 people, but only needit to feed 75, and iI only have $100 bucks!!!! :S good grief

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%