Make A Treasure Chest Cake?

Decorating By sebrina Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm by sebrina

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 4

I have to do a treasure chest for a 6 yr old boy's bday. The trick is there will be 60 people there. icon_surprised.gif I plan to stack 3 or 4 - 9 x 13 cakes & use 9" rounds for the top. I'm gonna try to tilt it so it looks open & fill it full of candy. I have a TON of questions. icon_confused.gif Do I dowel the cake? Should each layer go on a separate cake board? Any ideas on how to keep the top from sliding off the board? Should I dowel the rounds together as well?
Thanks in advance for any & all help. And any other suggestions would be most appreciated as well! icon_biggrin.gif

-Sebrina-

3 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 4

Here is another thread regarding this today:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-682444.html

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 4

60 servings x 8 cubic inches per serving = 480 cubic inches of cake needed

9x13x6 = 702 cubic inches of cake

So, stacking just the 3 quarter sheets will be MORE than enough cake.

Also, using cake for the lid makes it really really heavy.

What I did for the treasure chest cake in my photos is use RKT for the lid. I cut the chocolate fondant into strips to apply to the cake and RKT lid so that it would look like planks of wood, this also made the application much easier.

Absolutely dowel the cake. As you can see in the photo of my cake, I used the plastic dowels and cut them slightly higher than the cake to prop open the lid. The Lid was assembled on a separate cardboard and just placed on the dowels. I did not have cardboard in between the layers of the cake (I used 3 9x13s).

HTH!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the tips. Starting today, wish me luck! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%