Buttercream ?

Baking By amarilloyankee Updated 31 May 2010 , 10:20pm by prterrell

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 6

I am sure this has been answered somewhere before but I have a hard time searching for things on here..

How do you make Buttercream STIFF?
Buttercream MEDIUM?
Buttercream THIN?

and why do you make them different levels (what levels are used to make different things if that makes sense?)

Sorry trying to figure all this out.

Thank you in advance!

5 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

add more milk/water to get it thinner. Wilton suggests adding light corn syrup to their normal recipe to get spreading constistency. I have never tried that though, just more milk. So add less liquid to make it stiffer. I use a medium for just about everything-if its too stiff your hand will hurt while piping and cake will tear while spreading.

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 6

Why do you have different levels? What does stiff do compared to medium?

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 6

You would need a stiffer consistency to make flowers and decorations and a thinner consistency for spreading on the cake. If you try to cover a cake with stiff consistency you would tear the cake up. If you try to make roses with thin consistency your roses would not hold their shape.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 6

In the cake decorating forum there is a blue folder at the very top. Titled something like Everything you need to know about Buttercream.

here is the link. Read, enjoy, and find all the answers to questions you didnt even think to ask about buttercream icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-1353.html

the best way to search on here is to google your quesition and add cake central to it. example: buttercream consistancy cake central

HTH's

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 6

You only need to adjust the thickness of buttercream/icing if you are using a powdered sugar based frosting. Italian Meringue and Swiss Meringue buttercreams do not require adjustment. They come out perfect for all applications from the get go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%