Cricut Expression Machine Adjustments For Fondant - Help!

Decorating By hoosierhobbyist Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm by xinue

hoosierhobbyist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosierhobbyist Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 9

PLEASE HELP! I bought my Cricut Expression machine and just tried my first run with fondant - uggh! I have the deep cut blade assembly on, but the rollers leave deep lines through the fondant and the blade just dragged through the fondant. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone tell me the ajustments needed to the Expression machine to use for fondant?

How do I keep the rollers from leaving deep lines in the fondant?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 9

either cut the center rollers off, or just slide them over to the edge as far as you can. As far as getting it to cut the fondant nicely alot of it is trial and error. I roll mine very thin then let dry some, and haven't had that many problems cutting.

hoosierhobbyist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosierhobbyist Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 9

What is the needle depth setting and pressure settings you use? I think I have the needle set too deep. I rolled it out to about 1/16" and let dry about 20 minutes (Satin Ice Fondant) After I cut off the rubber rings, it still like dragged through the fondant, part cut perfect, but the rest just tore the design edge. Should it cut into the mat or is the needle depth too much- 5?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not using the expressions just the regular cricut but i would think the settings would be the same. I set the deep blade housing to 3, 4 if the material is a little thicker. I do roll through a pasta machine so that i have an even piece of fondant. Make sure the blade is very clean, you don't want any little piece of fondant stuck in there or it will screw up your cut. I have the pressure on 2 and the speed on 3. It takes a bit of playing with and i'm still learning. But it will cut words out nicely. The fonts are really what i bought it for.

I have a grad cake coming up that i'm working on designing through the cricut, i want to place a scroll type design on the outside edge of the cake. So maybe i'll know more after i get that done for Saturday.

cakenewbie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbie14 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:20am
post #5 of 9

so u girls are using the regular cricuts and NOT the cricut cake? I have a cricut expression i would like to use to cut fondont but do not want to ruin my machine! Do i need to buy the cake mat? and different blades? HELP! I do not want to buy a cricut cake, I want to use my machine I already own!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

Hi, I was wondering when using a regular or expression cricut, do you have a cricut cake mat or do you use the regular mats? And if so, who do you put the gumpaste/fondant on the mat????

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 9

Anyone??

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 9

If you are using a regular you mat you need to remove the sticky from the mat. The easiest way to do that is with 190 proof alcohol.....wipes off like a charm.. I've also found that Wilton fondant cuts better then any other with the cricut machines. I t let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting. On the cake cricut I use pressure 2-3 and speed 3.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 9

I used to have your problem. Then I read that you have to let it really dry. I let my fondat+tylose mix dry for like 3 hours ad it worked like a charm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%