Angel Food For 3-D Cake?

Decorating By yums Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 3:36am by indydebi

yums Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 10

So I had someone ask me to make a 3-d stork cake and I agreed. They finally got back to me today with the flavor and they would "love" angel food cake. Can I stack and carve that? I am willing to try but I wanted to see if anyone has done this or has suggestions.

9 replies
Darthburn Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 10

I think the WASC tastes like Angel Food without the fluffiness. Maybe a little more buttery too.

Dense cake, excellent for carving. I just used it for stacking and carving the tugboat cake in my photos this past Friday.

I have had family and friends say the same, the WASC tastes like Angel Food to them.

Then again, we all may have mutant taste buds! icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 10

No, you can't carve real angel food cake, nor can you cover it with fondant and expect it to hold it's shape. The texture is all wrong.

You can stack anything if you have the right supports because, ideally, the cake isn't supporting any weight--it's the dowels and/or boards/plates doing the work.

7yyrt Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 10

The most dense angel food cake recipe I know is this one. Good, but dense for an angel food cake.
Favorite Dishes. A Columbian Autograph Souvenir Cookery Book 1893.htm

Angel Cake. From MRS. DANIEL HALL, of New Hampshire, Lady Manager.
The whites of eleven eggs beaten to a stiff froth;
add one and one-half cups of pulverized sugar and
one teaspoonful of vanilla extract;
take one even cup of flour and
one teaspoonful cream of tartar and sift with flour four times;
beat lightly but thoroughly; bake fifty minutes in an ungreased pan; cut out when cold.
Will fill 2 glass loaf pans.
Another I have saved (but never made) is this one.
SUBMITTED BY: Melissa Busse "This is an angel food cake for a sheet cake. My grandma used to use this when she had a bakery. I have never had a problem with it. It is so easy to do."
Mock Angel Food Cake
* 2-1/4 cups cake flour
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup boiling water
* 8 egg whites
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sift cake flour, sugar, and salt three times then stir in the boiling water. Let cool.
3. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, baking powder, vanilla and almond flavorings until stiff peaks form. Fold into the flour mixture and pour batter into one ungreased 13x9 inch baking pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Cool cake inverted in pan, laying a tea towel underneath the cake to absorb the steam. Frost as desired once the cake is cooled.

yums Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 10 Thanks for all the great info. I think I am just going to tell them its either a 3-d cake out of a "real" cake or angel food decorated. It is due friday and I am not rushing around trying out new recipes to have my stork fall apart. But i will try out those recipes for another time. Thank yous!

sweettreat101 Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 10

My brother wanted me to make a three tiered wedding cake out of angel food. I told him that the cake wouldn't be stable so he finally agreed to white. I am making a separate cutting cake out of angel food for him and his bride.

indydebi Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 10

before substituting the WASC, you might check to make sure it's not a dietary requirement or something. I've had a handful of clients request a small (!) angel food cake on the side for a guest or two who were diabetic.

Darthburn Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 10

Nice call indydebi -

I meant to put something in there saying to check with the client first, offer a sample or something, and I completely forgot.

yums Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 10

Nope, just a man who doesn't have a clue about cake. He says he wants white cake, no idea that wasn't angel food. What a relief! Now to come up with a final product I am proud of.

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:36am
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by yums

He says he wants white cake, no idea that wasn't angel food. What a relief!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Now there's some cake civilian logic!! "Devil's Food" is chocolate cake so white cake MUST be called "Angel Food"!! LMBO!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%