Sliced Strawberries For Cake Filling?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 31 May 2010 , 12:41pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 3

How long do you suppose fresh sliced strawberries mixed with swiss meringue buttercream would last inside of a cake? I have a client that wants a strawberry filling for her wedding cake. I don't currently have a strawberry filling that I use, so I wanted to give her a couple options. I don't want to use that if it is going to be running all over the place.

2 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 3

Do you mean how long will it last at room temp....or how many days ahead you can make it and keep it in the cake (presumably chilled?)

At room temp, it will be fine inside the iced cake for a day or more.

Generally, it's fine inside the iced cake for about 5 days in the fridge. It won't weep.

Your options include a strawberry buttercream (fresh berries are great, jams and preserves work too), freshly sliced strawberries, a strawberry mousse, etc.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, mostly at room temp. I havent had very good luck with strawberries in the past so I am nervous! I am afraid they'll start weeping. I was planning on doing a test later this week, but would like a consensus on how far in advance I can do this. Or if I dare at all. thanks

oh and I did find a cooked strawberry filling that was decent, but I think she would really prefer fresh berries instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%