Kids And Cakes

Decorating By CakesByCharlene Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm by KHalstead

CakesByCharlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #1 of 14

well its not much of a disaster story but for my daughters 2nd bday i decided to make her an in the night garden birthday cake. as ive only been making cakes for a few months i decided to try and keep it simple. i gave myself a good few days to bake and decorate the cake so i wasnt rushed...UNTIL i stupidly left the cake and figurines on the kitchen table the night before her party

she decided she would walk one of the figures all over the top of the cake poking holes all through it. lets just say i was devistated and thankfully i had some fondant left over and i managed to kinda fix it.

that was about 2 months ago now, i bought a wilton 5 petal rose cutter from ebay last week and it arrived today so i decided to try it out. i got half way through it and had to attend to my 11month old so i left it on the kitchen bench...i came back to it and it had a nibbled petal and a huge bite taken out of the bottom of it, cute...kinda hahaha i just thought i would ask everyone what their kids and cakes horror stories are. ive attached some pics

just wondering what everone elses kids have done too, im sure im not the only one
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

13 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:19am
post #2 of 14

That's really cute! Especially walking the figure over the cake...that means it looked just like one of her favorite toys, like it was supposed to icon_biggrin.gif

When my daughter was one, I was frosting her birthday cake and I was only looking at the part in front of me, not at the table. She was laying on the table with her tongue out, licking a groove in the cake as I turned the cake on the turntable.

Good thing you weren't making roses the way that I do...I make a gumpaste cone and let it harden on a piece of wire, then stick the petals on that cone. That wouldn't be good for a baby to eat at all.

CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:22am
post #3 of 14

i was trying to make it on wire but i forgot to bend the top over before i poked it in the cone so it just fell out. she probably wouldve just left it there if it was attached to something...the cute thing was she just put it perfectly back on the egg carton when she was finished

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:44am
post #4 of 14

If you wrap the wire with floral tape and brush it with gum glue, it will stay in the cone better. They usually have to dry at least overnight though. I've made roses on lollipops before...the dum-dums lollipops that are kind of small. They make good centers if you're impatient like I usually am. If you're going to hang them upside down to dry though you have to get little clips to hang them up with.

It's adorable that she put it back where it belonged. Sometime soon you should do a cake project that she can help with...cut some little flowers and let them firm up a bit, then frost cupcakes and let her put the fondant flowers on top, or something like that. You'd be amazed how much they like to help when they're allowed. My 8 year old is willing to sit and make flowers by the hour...if she only had that attention span at school, it would be great icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:48am
post #5 of 14

yer it didnt bother me if they stayed on the wire as i was only playing. my 4 year old loves watching me do cakes and when i have time im going to let her do a cake, i cant wait lol

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:24am
post #6 of 14

I was making my son's second birthday cake recently - a city bus. I had made the wheels earlier in the week from black gumpaste and left them out to dry but the weather was so humid they just wouldn't dry. As I was running round getting everything ready for the party and trying to finish the cake I realised it had gone very, very quiet... Yep, when I went to investigate there he was playing play-doh with the mushed up wheels and grinning at me with black teeth! And you don't want to know what the next days nappy looked like after all that black food colouring!!

CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:39am
post #7 of 14

well i moved the 2 remaining rose cones to out of my 2yr olds reach so i could dry them to try tonight...i go to the kitchen and theres no ruined rose, or leaves or rosebud or rose cones on the wires or anything...so i call my 2yr old n 4yr old to the kitchen and ask them who did it, they both said not me...until i looked inside the 4yr olds mouth...the tiny bit of tinted green on the back of her tongue gave her away lol boody kids now i have to start all over again

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 14

I made a Saints helmet cake for my hubby's cousin for his birthday and decided to do an extra fleur de lis. After spending so much time on everything, especially getting the fondant into all of the curvatures of the fleur de lis, I wake up to find out that Megatron attacked it. (2yr old). Also he had poked the helmet but I attempted to fix it with a little fondant.

I couldn't get the pics to attach, but they are in my album.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 14

I woke up one morning after having a nightmare that my son (3 at the time) was going to stick his finger into the cake ..........I got up in the middle of the night and put it in the fridge (to protect it)...............wouldn't you guess? woke up the next morning, opened the fridge to assure myself it was ok..............HE WAS IN THE FRIDGE WITH THE CAKE IN HIS LAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needless to say I had to remake the cake and it was a surprise for the recipient so it was a gift and there was no time crunch but boy was I MAD!!!

Now Ilaugh about it.......he's 8 now and could care less about the cakes all over the kitchen all the time now. My 6 yr. old DD has never wanted to "touch" the cakes, only see them!!! He'll learn!! throw a little ball of fondant at her and it'll keep her gnawing for a bit and give you time to do what you need to LOL

I've only been "selling" cakes for just under 3 yrs. now...so he got this out of his system before they were for "paying customers"!! lol

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 14

I made a little model panda to sit on top of a cake, left him to dry. Hubby said what is wrong with one of the feet on this panda, darling daughter had eaten it !!!!

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

When my daughter was one, I was frosting her birthday cake and I was only looking at the part in front of me, not at the table. She was laying on the table with her tongue out, licking a groove in the cake as I turned the cake on the turntable.

LOL!! Thanks for the belly laugh this morning--I really needed it!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 14

My son took a bite out of the side of his cake I made for his 2nd birthday just after blowing out the candles as I was trying to snap a picture. Good thing it was his cake and only a party for family, everyone just laughed and I have a cute picture.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 14

OMG! He was IN the fridge?!?!?!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 14

oh yeah, sitting IN the fridge right where the cake had been.......only difference is that now his lap was the cake stand!!!

I wish I would have taken a photo then, but I was too mad at hime at the time to even think a photo would be cute!!! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%