Socks With Shoes?

Lounge By margaretb Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 5:10am by margaretb

margaretb Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #1 of 7

Stupid question, but what kind of socks, if any, do you wear with shoes? In the winter, I wear winter boots. In the summer, mostly sandals. Otherwise, I wear running shoes with pretty much everything (and for me, pretty much everything is jeans, jeans, jeans). Anyway, in an effort to branch out and be less of a fashion neanderthal, I have been thinking about getting some shoes that are actual shoes -- not runners, not sandals. If so, what is the normal practice? Socks? What kind (I only have white athletic socks that go with runners)? Footie nylons? That seems annoying.

Also, since I'm showing my ignorance, do actual people wear suck-you-in underwear all the time? I can't understand how some people look so terrific all the time, but I look bulgy no matter what. I'm very overweight, but so are some other people I know who look gorgeous. I just don't get it.

Thanks for any tips or thoughts.

Margaret

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:09am
post #2 of 7

I can't help with the sock thing because I don't wear socks. I wear sandals or crocs all the time and no socks icon_biggrin.gif

About the bulgy thing, my sister is one of those smooth and curvy looking big girls. I've seen my sister getting dressed for some dressy event and she will wear a longline bra (like a corset), control underwear, and then a tight spandex slip over the whole thing. I'm big too but I don't try as hard as she does.

TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 7

I wear socks with tennis shoes or boots, that is about it. I'm a flip flop girl in the summer myself. icon_smile.gif

It drives my mom crazy but I usually don't even wear panty hose with heels. As I child I hated (with a passion) tights, and just can't force myself to wear panty hose very often.

I do have some slip on shoes that I don't bother with socks. For me it depends on the actual shoe. If I'm wearing something where the socks will show, then I will usually skip them. Or if I have to wear socks, they do make one now that barely shows over the shoe that I will use.

As far as slimmer/shapper under clothes, I like to be comfortable, so no I don't wear them day to day. If I am dressing up or want to put a little more effort then I will wear them. I also try to shop for clothes that don't cling to the areas that bug me. Some styles make me look better, some make every dimple show.

Everyone carries their weight differently and have buldges in different places, so I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to others.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 7

I wear black ankle socks.You can buy them at Walmart in the woman's section for socks,underwear etc..They come in white and navy blue and a denim color also.They are sold by the 6 pkg.They aren't bulky like athletic socks but still keep your feet warm...I am cold all the time so I always wear socks! LOL

Elcee Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 7

Buy trouser socks, they are kind of like knee highs but look a little more substantial. They should match your shoes and pants but if not,at least match them to one. For example, black pants, black socks, black shoes; blue jeans, brown socks, brown shoes; gray pants, black socks, black shoes...you get the picture.

catlharper Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 7

Not a sock girl...I don't wear hose with heels either. I buy, mostly, little slip on flats so I don't have to wear socks!

margaretb Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:10am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everybody! Now I just have to find some shoes that are comfortable and fit me!

As for the bulges, well, I am for more interested in comfort too, so I guess I'll live with them. But it's good to have a clue about it in case I ever wear a dress again.

Margaret

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%