Cake Way Too Crumbly When I Trim

Decorating By RachelC Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 11:47am by KHalstead

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 8

So I made a cake this weekend for family, and when I tried trimming it, it was waaaay tooo crumbly!! I froze the cake, but it was still crumbly that I lost the crispness of the edges!

Any suggestions of what I should do? Or is that normal? Is there a particular knife I should be using? I used a long bread knife..

icon_cry.gif

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:51am
post #2 of 8

What cake recipe did you use? Did you use straight box mix?

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:42am
post #3 of 8

Yes I did, but I added an extra egg, more oil a box of pudding mix and sour cream (I read the recipe somewhere).

Is there a good fool-proof recipe that is dense enough to carve and sculpt?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:08am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelC

Yes I did, but I added an extra egg, more oil a box of pudding mix and sour cream (I read the recipe somewhere).

Is there a good fool-proof recipe that is dense enough to carve and sculpt?

More oil is your problem. How much oil did you add?

Adding a box of instant pudding and an extra egg and LESS (not MORE) oil to any recipe will make it sturdy enough for carving. I actually don't use any oil in my carved cake recipe. I do use sourcream though.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:47am
post #5 of 8

This is one of the reasons why I do not freeze anymore. My cakes would come out to crumbly when I went to go trim. They also stayed tackey/wet. This would cause my icing not to stick, or slide off. Yes, I defrosted in the wrap on the counter, and then let it stay in room temp. for several hours. Regardless how long I let stay in wrap and then outside wrap, the cakes would always be sticky and to crumbly. I use the WASC on this site...

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:17am
post #6 of 8

Are you using a nice sharp knife to trim?

Mikel, I never let my cakes sit "for hours" to thaw. Cakes only take a few minutes .... anywhere from 10 to 30, depending on size. I remove the wrap when they are still about 1/2 frozen. Soft on the outside, but nice and firm on the inside. No trimming problems. And I use straight cake mix plus one extra egg.

One time, due to scheduling issues, I took the cakes out the night before and when I came in the next day, I had the same situation as you ..... soft, sticky, yucky to work with. will never do that one again!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:27am
post #7 of 8

I use 1 extra egg, up oil to 1/2 cup, and 1 box of pudding to my mix and get a nice cake for sculpting. I don't use the sour cream. I would omit the sour cream next time. I don't freeze mine either. I just let it sit long enough to get cold and then carve with a sharp knife that is not serrated.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:47am
post #8 of 8

I carve when they're ROCK HARD frozen if I have time to get them that frozen. Also, you need to LOWER the amount of oil like was mentioned above.

If I KNOW I'm carving a cake I use 1/2 the oil that's usually called for in my recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%