First Near Disaster!

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 30 May 2010 , 11:04pm by tesso

brea1026 Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 2

So I have been making cakes about 4 years now. I just started my own legal business in Chandler, AZ about a month and a half ago- and today was my first near wreck!

I rent licensed kitchen space from a dinner preperation place. I bought myself a brand new shiny 2 door stainless steel refrigerator so I would have my own space to store all my cakes. So here is the short end of the story- bake cake friday, decorate yesterday for 3pm pickup. 3:35pm I call and she tells me the party is for Sunday (today)... okay no problem, I will leave it in the fridge overnight and meet her tomorrow afternoon for the pickup.

Well... I get in at 2:50 this afternoon and open the fridge... and the power is turned off!!!! It was 80+ degrees in there!!!! I am not sure what happened because it was plugged into it's own power strip with a surge protector! Luckily the cake was just a simple 8" square tiffany box cake, and luckily the only damage was to the back side where a HUGE airbubble formed and completely blew out the back side. So I just poked a hole to let the air out, and used a fondant smoother to stick that sucker back to the cake. It looks a little crappy back there, but not enough to ruin the cake.

The only other lucky part, was that it was supposed to have cream cheese frosting and I ran out, so I just used buttercream. If it would have been made with the cream cheese frosting I would have been in trouble and probably had to throw it all away! WHEW! Close Call!

1 reply
tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 2

I am so sorry that happend to you. I am glad you were able to save your cake. I could feel you stress as I read your post. It's delivered, relax now, and remember to breathe away the stress.

If that surge protector is plugged into an outlet with another device and the fridge and the other device kicked ON at the same time, it would turn your power strip off, due to too much draw. Surge protectors do not protect against "brown outs" or "draws". It was a brown out that blew my computer back in december! I have power strip in my kitchen, the fridge is plugged into the wall then power strip, if the toaster is going and the fridge compressor kicks in..well you guessed it. It blows the circuit, and snaps off the power strip and fridge. hth's

Quote by @%username% on %date%