Coloring Mmf

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 30 May 2010 , 11:26pm by Darthburn

Darthburn Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 5

I know I have seen it over and over... a lot of people are dedicated to Americolor over Wilton. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding color:

First, it's really hard for me to get a good solid color I like... especially if it's dark. I do let my fondant set over night. But I have to use darn near a whole small jar of color just to make MMF vibrant. I have a green cake coming up soon, and I don't want to have to use tons of color. What do you think? Ger Americolor?

What about MFF, does that color vibrantly easier than MMF?

I just want nice bright popping colors. I know red and black are hard, but how about greens, purples, blues... things that get dulled with white marshmellows and powdered sugar?

Thank you all in advance! I looooove this forum, site and people! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
quietude Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 5

I've recently tried Americolor and I must say that they have great colors! I will definitely be converting to them from Wilton!!!

chellescountrycakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 5

Fromwhat I've heard if you use the colored marshmellows (pink for pink hued things, green for green hued things) they color much easier.

I have had no problems with most colors, but orange gets greasy and crumbles evrytime. EVERY time. even when I half the batch orange and green, or orange and teal. makes no sense to me

tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 5

If you want vibrant, I prefer americolor, but the key to great coloring of MMF is to add the color to the hot marshmallow mixture. I tried coloring after the fondant was made and it was just like you said, pale and dull. But once I started adding it to marshmallows the color stayed true. It will darken or intensify after sitting a day. hth's

Darthburn Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 5

I do add color at the hot marshmellow stage, but I have to add so much it's ridiculous. I've gotten really good at making MMF. Fast, easy, tasty... and I have it down to a science... no more bubbles or stretches. It's the colors I can't get a lock on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%