Decorating With Edible Ink Pen - How???

Decorating By ReigateCakes Updated 30 May 2010 , 10:27pm by milkmaid42

ReigateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReigateCakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone
I've now bought three black edible icing pens to use on fondant and none of them really work. It must be that I'm using them incorrectly. Can you please help me out with some advice?
I'm using them on fondant icing to add facial details or other small details to a picture.
I've tried to use them on the fondant when it's still soft, and it just drags the fondant, and I've tried when the fondant has dried out a bit, but it doesn't really work - am I doing something wrong, is it the wrong tool for the job?
Can anyone please advise of a brand of pen that I can use on fondant?
thanks to everyone
x

3 replies
quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 4

I use the Americolor brand and they work wonderfully!

HTH - Kim

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 4

Indeed, it's very hard to write on soft fondant. If your pens won't work on dry fondant, you could try dipping them in a little Everclear, vodka or whatever high-alcohol liquid you use to paint with luster dust. Sometimes that helps the ink start flowing again, because they tend to dry out when they're just sitting around. Otherwise, I guess you'll have to invest in another brand of pen - maddening, I know, since they don't come cheap.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 4

I'm not sure if this has any bearing, but I keep mine in the refrigerator.
While I know the decorated item doesn't require refrigeration, my pens do seem to benefit. Just another idea...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%