Shortening Based Icing

Baking By esboykin Updated 31 May 2010 , 1:31am by jhay

esboykin Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 11

Does anybody have any good shortening based icing recipies they'd like to share?? I'm used to using just the basic buttercreme but I want something that comes out whiter and little bit more fluffy icon_smile.gif

10 replies
prterrell Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 11

Just do a search or look in the recipe section of the website. There are literally hundreds of recipes.

ptanyer Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 11

Here are links to 2 of my favorites:

Indydeb's icing: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Sugarshacks icing: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5163/sugarshacks-icing-and-tips.

They are both really great icings and stand up to decorating, crust well, and handle hot humid weather.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

Zahrah Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 11

I second indydeb's. I use water instead of milk and if I don't have Dream Whip on hand, I mix in meringue powder. Let her go in the mixer until fluffy.

ptanyer Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahrah

I second indydeb's. I use water instead of milk and if I don't have Dream Whip on hand, I mix in meringue powder. Let her go in the mixer until fluffy.

You know I never thought of those substitutions! What a great idea. And I just went and bought 2 new boxes of Dream Whip because I was running low and afraid to run out... icon_lol.gif

Sherry1030 Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 11

I just made buttercream for the first time today. Usually I make SMBC but needed this for an outdoor party and it was supposed to be hot today. I used indydebi's recipe and sub'd white mocha coffee creamer instead of the milk. I was dreading using shortening and we didn't love it at first (again, used to smbc!) but it tasted great in the cake. Definitely held up to the heat and my fondant has never looked so smooth!

Zahrah Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:31am
post #7 of 11

Ptanyer - the Dream Whip doesn't seem to last around my house but I always have at least a tablespoon or 2 in the can of Wilton's Meringue Powder.

Sherry1030 - Never thot to use flavored creamer. Brilliant! I didn't like shortening frostings either when I started but I think it was because I didn't mix (whip) it long enuf so it seemed heavy, gritty and greasy. Now I make sure I mix it long enough to whip and love it.

Oh! I use warm/hot water too. Seems to make a difference but it could be in my mind.

mamao7k Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #8 of 11

i've used 1/2 milk 1/2 french vanilla creamer in indydebi's recipe and DD says it's way better then the regular stuff with just milk

ptanyer Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #9 of 11

What great ideas! I have never used flavored creamers because I know nothing about them since I don't drink coffee (gasp, I know icon_lol.gif ). Until I tried Sugarshacks recipe, I hadn't purchased a powdered creamer and didn't know you could substitute them in things until I started reading about it on CC. Read, but never tried...(shakes head). Now I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!

Pam

PS - when I bring home the Dream Whip I open all the packages and put it in a mason jar with a tight seal and no one but me knows what it is...so no one bothers it... icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by esboykin

Does anybody have any good shortening based icing recipies they'd like to share?? I'm used to using just the basic buttercreme but I want something that comes out whiter and little bit more fluffy icon_smile.gif

I use Indydebi's recipe which is an all shortening buttercream. I do beat the crisco for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients and this makes a really creamy fluffy buttercream.

jhay Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #11 of 11

I like using Lorranne's emulsions in this kind of icing too. Butter Vanilla is my favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%