Is A Suitcase Cake Possible To Make...standing Up?

Decorating By cdent Updated 30 May 2010 , 9:06pm by ladycakes85

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 3

Hey guys!

I have been commissioned to create a vintage suitcase cake for next weekend and so I started browsing the galleries. I notice that no one has really made one sitting up (like with the handle up)...do you think it's possible or would it be too structurally un-sound? and how would I suggest they cut into it? Also, if anyone has any suggestions on where to find vintage european suitcase stickers, please let me know! It's harder to find them than I thought it would be (decent resolution anyway). I'm always looking to challenge myself but I want your thoughts first icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance everyone!!

-Corinne

2 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 3

I think so! As long as its wide enough to not be too wobbly.

I would stack them, every two layers of cake, put plenty of supports and then a cardboard (like tiers of a wedding cake, but obviously all the same size)....and then do that however high you need to go.

Then drive several sharpened dowels through the entire cake, including the board (if its like foamcore or a cake drum, you can't if its wood, then you just drive it as far as you can) at intervals across the cake to stabilize it from tipping.

When they serve it, they will serve the first "tier" (2 layers of cake) and then remove the cardboard and then continue serving the next "tier", and so on.

Have fun!

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 3

Not replying directly to your post, but did you see the episode of "Ace of Cakes" where they had the upright guitar cake? That one was cool too, and I think goes to show that it is possible to stack cakes upright. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%