Tres Leches Wedding Cake

Decorating By ginsum Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm by Solecito

ginsum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginsum Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 21

I have to make a wedding cake and the bride has requested a tres leches cake. I have never made one and i am not sure how well it will hold up when stacking it. Any advice or tips?

20 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 21

I didn't think you could stack or cover Tres Leches with fondant until I read post on here saying that you can. Someone posted photos of her tres leches cake that she covered with fondant and I had been told that you couldn't. Same for the stacking.

Maybe someone that has actually done either one will see your thread.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 21

stacking depends on how good your support structure is. the upper tiers are supported by the dowels and plates, not the cake below. For a cake like that i would HIGHLY suggest the SPS system (there is a sticky at the top of one of the forums about SPS - or Search SPS with the author Leah)

As for the icing i think you'll have to stay with a whipped type icing, it's been awhile since i've done a true Tres Leche cake, but i don't think it could hold fondant. Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

ginsum Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 21

The client wants a whipped cream icing. Only the bottom two tiers (a 14in. square and a 10 in. square) have to be stacked. The top 6 in. square cake will be raised with pillars.

mamawrobin Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:37am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

As for the icing i think you'll have to stay with a whipped type icing, it's been awhile since i've done a true Tres Leche cake, but i don't think it could hold fondant. Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

You're wrong icon_lol.gif So was I! I posted the same response the other night and Addie2580 corrected me by posting photos of two Tres Leche cakes that she had successfully covered with fondant. They are both in her photos if you want to see.

leily is absolutely right about stacking. Your support system is what supports your cake. Cake doesn't support cake. I have stacked Tres Leche using cardboard circles (covered with press n seal) and straws (dowels). I will be covering my next Tres Leche cake with fondant thanks to Addie 2580 thumbs_up.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:31am
post #6 of 21

Mamawrobin:
Which Tres Leches recipe did you use? There are several ones that are very very moist and that would be a hazard for stacking.Could you be so nice and post yours?
Ginsum could benefit for knowing as well.
Thanks

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

You're wrong icon_lol.gif So was I! I posted the same response the other night and Addie2580 corrected me by posting photos of two Tres Leche cakes that she had successfully covered with fondant. They are both in her photos if you want to see.

Thanks! Good info, i will have to go check out Addie's photos.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 21

I've made several Tres leches which were 8"/10" rounds.. never stacked. I would be interested in seeing your recipe also. The ones I have made are super moist. I would never attempt the ones I have made!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 21

Here's a great Tres Leches recipe that's not too mushy. It won't let me attach it as a document for some reason:

Tres Leches Cake

2 ½ cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
7 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
¾ cup whole milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 container (1/2 pint) whipping cream
¼ cup brandy (optional, but it adds great flavor when used)

Meringue

6 egg whites
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup water
Zest of 1 lemon

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.

2. Beat the 7 egg whites and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Beat in the yolks one at a time. Beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 of the whole milk; repeat twice, beating until smooth. Add vanilla.

3. Pour the mixture into a buttered and floured 10 round cake pan. Lower the oven to 350 degrees; bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool in the pan 15 minutes; unmold. Cut the cake into 3 horizontal layers; place on wire racks set into shallow baking pans.

4. Combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream and brandy in a medium bowl. Prick the top of each cake layer with a toothpick. Ladle 1/3 of the milk mixture over each cake layer; set aside. (It will seem like a lot of liquid, but it really does sink in if you ladle it on slowly, kind of pressing down as you go.)

5. For the meringue, beat the 6 egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large bowl to form stiff peaks; set aside. Combine the sugar, water and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Heat to a boil over medium heat; cook until temperature reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer, or until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Carefully add the syrup in a thin stream to the egg whites, beating on medium speed. Beat until firm, 5-6 minutes. Restack the cake layers; cover the sides and top of the cake with meringue. Refrigerate until serving time.

jayarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayarr Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 21

GJMB ,that was a great share of recipe. That serves a big help . Keep it up . Very helpful .. Thanks !!

mamawrobin Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicake

Mamawrobin:
Which Tres Leches recipe did you use? There are several ones that are very very moist and that would be a hazard for stacking.Could you be so nice and post yours?
Ginsum could benefit for knowing as well.
Thanks

I work in a bakery and don't do any of the baking. We won't be open again until Tuesday but I will find out how she "modified" the recipe to work. Knowing that we used a "modified" recipe is one reason I stated in my first post that maybe someone who had stacked Tres Leche cake would post on the op's thread. Thinking that she may attempt it anyway I shared that I did use press and seal on my cakeboards when stacking mine.

We (bakery) are still learning about Tres Leche cake. As I mentioned in my post, I didn't know that you could successfully cover with fondant until this past week. I'm always learning that just because you've been told something "won't work" doesn't necessarily mean that it won't and I'm always willing to try new ways of doing things.

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 21

There's a thread where macsmom explains what modifications she would make to the WASC cake recipe to make it a Tres Leche version

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=607418&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

Omicake Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks so much to both of you Mamawrobin and Lizabu for your replies.
Mamawrobin, I'll appreciate it if you can get and share the modified recipe.
Lizabu, I'll be checking macsmom's version as well.
Thanks.

Omicake Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 21

Oops, forgot to thank JGMB for her recipe.

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:

Thanks so much to both of you Mamawrobin and Lizabu for your replies.
Mamawrobin, I'll appreciate it if you can get and share the modified recipe.
Lizabu, I'll be checking macsmom's version as well.
Thanks.

I just got home from work and Gracie wasn't there today. She will be back on Thursday and I will get it from her and pm it to you that evening. thumbs_up.gif

Omicake Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 21

Momwrobin,
I'll be waiting if you can get it.Thanks in advance.

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:51am
post #17 of 21
Quote:

Momwrobin,
I'll be waiting if you can get it.Thanks in advance.

Oh, I'll get it icon_wink.gif she's more than happy to share recipes.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm
post #18 of 21

Mamawrobin, can you please post it here too so everyone, else can have it, I always wanted to try it, and I would appreciate it too, Thank You.

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:36pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Mamawrobin, can you please post it here too so everyone, else can have it, I always wanted to try it, and I would appreciate it too, Thank You.

Yes I will. thumbs_up.gif

ginsum Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:39pm
post #20 of 21

Okay- thanks!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #21 of 21

Hi. The recipe I use is from Nestle, very similar to the one posted by JGBM. It is a very delicate sponge cake, but when you add the milks mixture it gets very heavy, I would really not use it for stacking, or use pillars. I could change the recipe, but this one is more like the traditional and tastes so good, not too sweet, and the spongy consistency makes it ideal for the syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%