Marshmallow Fondant Questions

Baking By SugarKissesCakery Updated 30 May 2010 , 7:59pm by sberryp

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 5

I have a MMF question I'm hoping you experienced bakers can help me with. I switched to Edna De La Cruz's MMF recipe because I was having problems with dryness in my standard recipe. (Edna's recipe has a little corn syrup in it with seems to make all the difference in the world in terms of getting velvet smooth, pliable MMF.) The only problem is that it just won't get stiff on me to create bows or figures. I don't want to have to make two recipes of MMF for the same cake - one for the cake, one for the figures. I don't want to use gumpaste for the figures because my daughter loves to eat them. Any ideas? I've tried adding Tylose but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Maybe I'm not adding enough. Help my dear cake friends icon_smile.gif

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 5

Why not make a large amt of your "yummy" MMF and prepare it for long term storage? Thin coating of veg shortening, several layers of plastic wrap, a ziplock bag then into a container with a tight fitting lid? I use one of the vacuum type food savers to preserve leftover fondant. Either way, you will have some on hand to color and use when the need arises.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 5

If you don't mind the taste, I have used the Wilton fondant for such things. It dries hard enough to keep the shape you need but it doesn't get brittle like gum paste does. I like to keep it on hand for when I run out of fondant or gum paste for decorations.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 5

You're probably not adding enough tylose. You should be able to feel the fondant stiffen up as you knead in the tylose.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 5

I used the MMF this weekend and didn't like it. Yes the fondant was shinny, but it was not stiff and kept ripping. I am going to stick with he basic MMF recipe. Check out these fondant recipes maybe one will work that you will like.

http://www.piece-a-cake.com/how-to-make-fondant.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%