Hair On Gumpaste People

Decorating By MaryFLOcala Updated 30 May 2010 , 4:38pm by MaryFLOcala

MaryFLOcala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryFLOcala Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 5

I am making my first gumpaste figures and am having trouble getting the hair to look any kind of natural. Mostly it keeps looking like helmants or worse. icon_cry.gif UGGH. Does anyone have any tips or know of any tutorials that can help point me in a new direction. thanks

4 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

I've used royal icing anda super small round tip, either a 1 or an 0, and just piped on hair, it worked way better than trying to mold some.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 5

I use assorted sized garlic presses for hair. Some with small holes, some bigger holes depending on how I want the hair to look. Once I get my fondant or gumpaste pressed through, I let it sit for a bit to dry. Not for that long, just till it doesn't feel sticky cause its easier for me to apply that way. If I use it right after it comes out of the press, my fondant or gumpaste is usually too soft and the strands stick together. I also use an old sock darning needle to separate the strands if need be too.
HTH

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 5

I use either the grass tip(I'm not sure what the number is) or a clay gun. I bought a cheap one at michaels for like 3.00. With a little practice you will do great!!!! icon_smile.gif

MaryFLOcala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryFLOcala Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 5

THANKS BIG. i was using textured mold but it seems all agree that a strand by strand method is going to give me a better effect. (Since my DH likes itailian i definatly have garlic presses laying around haha) Taking a deep breath and back to work i go..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%