Dark Colored Fondant

Baking By thesweetconfection Updated 30 May 2010 , 8:01pm by sberryp

thesweetconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesweetconfection Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 6

When I color my MMF any dark color (black, red, dark green, etc.) - it tends to make the fondant unstable. It cracks much easier and when I it roll out the edges are jagged.

Does anyone experience the same thing and is there any solution? I have tried adding more crisco but it doesn't always work.

Thanks,
Heather

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 6

I found that instead of trying to make those colors with MMF, it is better to just bite the bullet and buy regular fondant that is already colored. If I just need a bit for a deco, I still make my own gumpaste.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 6

I have the same problem- if I don't get the black rolled out right the 1st time I often can't reroll it because it just crumbles no matter how much crisco I use. I am thinking it may be better to just buy.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 6

I buy red and black and any other dark/ vivid color. I have the same problem with the MMF. Yeah it stinks because it's expensive but the easy of workability is well worth the money spent.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 6

for dark colors in MMF i make my whole batch one color so I can add the black, red or blue to the melted marshmallows. Then add the PS and you can control your consistency a lot easier (plus it takes a lot less color, and a lot less kneeding)

If you don't need a large batch, just divide the recipe in 1/4 or 1/2. But it also keeps for awhile so making more than you need isn't always bad.

I did the black MMF on this cake this way.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25555

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

for dark colors in MMF i make my whole batch one color so I can add the black, red or blue to the melted marshmallows. Then add the PS and you can control your consistency a lot easier (plus it takes a lot less color, and a lot less kneeding)

If you don't need a large batch, just divide the recipe in 1/4 or 1/2. But it also keeps for awhile so making more than you need isn't always bad.

I did the black MMF on this cake this way.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25555

I am going to try this one, but I add some sugar and tylose to make it more stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%