Structure Help!

Decorating By violetbutterflyz Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 4:00am by chelseavelez

violetbutterflyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
violetbutterflyz Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 7

I am making my stepson's graduation cake and could really use some ideas on what the best structre would be best for stacking so I have to tilting or sagging. It's going to be on a wood base....the bottom tier is a Xbox 360, the next two tiers are school books, and the top is a graduation cap and an Itouch. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!!

6 replies
lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 7

It wouldn't be any different than a wedding cake. Just dowel each tier and then run a long dowel through the whole thing.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu

It wouldn't be any different than a wedding cake. Just dowel each tier and then run a long dowel through the whole thing.

I agree. Dowels/straws, cardboard circles and the center dowel. thumbs_up.gif

jeannetted23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeannetted23 Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 7

what about the individual layers within each tier. how can the bulge be avoided?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannetted23

what about the individual layers within each tier. how can the bulge be avoided?

I fill my cake and allow it to settle for a few hours before crumbcoating and icing/covering with fondant. My cakes never have a buldge using this method. If you don't have a "few hours" to allow your cake to settle you can speed up the process by adding some weight on top of your filled cake thumbs_up.gif

jeannetted23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeannetted23 Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 7

thanks so much for taking the time to reply, such a huge help icon_smile.gif

chelseavelez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseavelez Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:00am
post #7 of 7

so you stick the cake in the fridge after you put the filling in the cake for a couple hours then crumb coat it and then no bulge??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%