Bloggers?

Business By tootie0809 Updated 31 May 2010 , 12:48am by PinkLisa

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 13

How many of you have a blog as well as a website? I keep hearing over and over how important blogging is for business. I've never been one who follows blogs much. I might look at one maybe once or twice, but generally I really don't have a big interest in them. For those who do blog, I'm wondering what do you blog about and how do you find it helps your business?

12 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 13

I jumped on the blog bandwagon just for fun but I really don't have time to post much...I work 2 jobs in the "real"world, but I did have a person in my region find my blog while doing a search on Google and I ended up doing a cake for her...that's my only business from my pathetic little blog. thumbs_up.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 13

I blog about my cookie theme for the week (at the farmers market) And how it all went. If I have new products coming out.

Honestly tho, the blog is mostly for show, i get more business from my facebook page!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 13

I like the scatter approach to marketing. I blog, do Facebook and tweet. These forms of social media allow for more conversational writing. I post my new cakes and sugar flowers and any publicity I get. I like to be available by any form of social media my clients are on, so they can easily find me. I post often and it doesn't take long. People don't have time to read long posts anyway. Keep it short and simple. And keep personal stuff to a minimum (IMO).

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the responses. All of your blogs are awesome!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 13

I have clients/friends/family who all are asking me why I don't blog...well, honestly I don't even know how to get started! Does anyone have a recommendation on a free website?

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, I blog. Yes, its hard for me to remember. However, I have had clients comment that they saw something on my blog, or they liked my blog. I use blogspot.com to host my blog. its free and pretty easy.

PinkLisa Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 13

I think the two largest blog platforms are blogger.com and wordpress.com.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 13

I love my blog, but I really enjoy writing. I've had a lot of clients tell me that they read my blog, so it gives people a way to see what kinds of things you do and kind of get to know you a little. I use blogger.com, because I think that it's easier for people to follow it, and easier to moderate comments, but a lot of people say that they prefer wordpress. I've seen pros and cons of both.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 13

Decide what the purpose of your blog is.

Some use a blog as a daily diary, recording the events of their day and what they've done.

Some use it as a showcase to post their pics.

Some use it as an educational tool to show how they made a cake.

I wanted to provide the little known tips and suggestions about reception planning that only comes with years of experience (60% Rule, etc). I wanted other wedding vendors to send their brides to my sites because "Check out this lady's blog/website ..... she's got some helpful info for you." As mentioned above, I enjoy writing and I wanted a place to showcase that writing ... to get my thoughts organzied and on paper (electronic paper!).

Decide the purpose.

I tried wordpress. I'm not a stupid person but after 2-3 hours, I just gave up. Went to blogspot and had a blog up, running and posted inside of 20 minutes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 13

I have a business Facebook as well as a blog. The blog is pretty slow (as far as followers) but I use it to post my newest cakes each weekend and sometimes descriptions or little tidbits. I don't update my website as often so I direct people to my blog to see recent creations that are not yet on my website. Also, sometimes the customers REALLY like to see their cake on my blog, as well as read the little side notes I include.

The business Facebook I usually direct people to my blog or give occasional little updates about anything new going on in my business.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #12 of 13

I've had my blog for over a year and average 200 or so hits a day. The biggest thing it has done for me is provided brides a chance to "know" me and my shop before they ever call for an appointment. My platform is Typepad and it is very easy to use. The majority of my business friends use wordpress or cold fusion as their platforms.

I also have a Twitter and Facebook presence but always keep it professional.

Minette

PinkLisa Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:48am
post #13 of 13

I so agree with you about the "get to know me" factor. I think that's a huge advantage of soical media. Yes Professional!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%