Treasure Chest Help!!!

Decorating By MessMaker Updated 30 May 2010 , 11:46pm by FullHouse

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 3

Im making a Treasure chest cake for my sons 9th b-day since its a pool party....But i havent the slightest clue how to make the chest appear open.. I know there are Dowel Rods involved, but is the lid set on a separate cake board? Could some one help me with this project? I am a self learning hobby baker so needless to say, im gonna test some skill on this cake....Any advice would help.

2 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 3

You have the right idea. The lid is going to be on its own board. To make it appear open you will have to place at least two dowels (depending on how large the box top is) that stick up out of the cake a minimum of 1 inch. Place the box top on the cake (it will be slanted open) and drive a dowel through the whole thing to make sure the top does not fall off. Cover hole with some icing and a stripe of fondant (for the metal braces on the box).

Hope I explained that one well enough....

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 3

I did mine (in my photos) much the way reenie explained. But... I made the top out of Rice Krispie Treats (cake would work fine too) on a cake cardboard, then put dowels along the back edge just about 1/8" above the bottom tier and 3 dowel rods about 2" higher than the bottom tier along the middle of the cake. I put a line of melted candy melts along the back of the cake and to stick the dowels to the cake board. I didn't drive a dowel through the entire cake, it all held up fine - the cake stayed at my house for my son's b-day, but I would be comfortable transporting it as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%