Cake Balls/pops

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 10:47am by njoycakes

jayne1873 Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:59am
post #1 of 3

Just seen a post on here about cake pops and what a great thing to do with your left over scraps instead of wasting them so am thinking of trying out cake balls/pops.
Couple of questions:
1. once I have mixed the cake balls how long can I keep them in the freezer and do I need to defrost before covering in choc.
2. can they be frozen after the choc has been applied.

2 replies
CakesByCharlene Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:06am
post #2 of 3

ive made them a few times.

i only leave them in the freezer for about 15 mins till they firm up enough to roll, as i dont have to be too neat because i give them to my 4 and 2 yr old as treats so i dont know about how long u can but i would say provided u let them defrost before eating them u could freeze them just like a normal cake. and as for defrosting before coating in choc, if they are perfectly round how u want them then i would say no u shouldnt need to let them defrost

as for freezing them after the chocolate is on i dont think u would need to if u cover them in chocolate well enough that no air can get to the cake they would keep for a while. i know ive eaten some a good week later and they have still been fine.

ive only been cake decorating for 4 months so im curious to see what someone a little more pro has to say

njoycakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:47am
post #3 of 3

sorry, I know I'm a bit late to chiime in on this one but I leave mine in the freezer, for me it makes it easier for the melted choc to cover the pop evenly.
as for freezing them once they've been covered, that's do-able but the choc can crack slightly, so it depends how perfect you want them to look.
check out bakerella's blog, she's the cake pop queen! x
also, didn't know if you were aware but there's a forum that's been going that's full of UKers, it's in the cupcake forum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%