Help!!! How To Make A Huge Bow For A Wedding Cake???

Decorating By Cenell Updated 31 May 2010 , 2:56am by Cenell

Cenell Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:19am
post #1 of 8

Hi girls. Can somebody help me??? I need to make a wedding cake, and the bride wants a huge molding chocolate bow in one of the tiers. I don't know how to make it without the bow folding on the sides. PLEASE HELP!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Thanks in advance.

7 replies
mpetty Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:41am
post #2 of 8

Can you use modeling chocolate the same way you'd use fondant/gumpaste? If so, here's a great video from Planet Cake on making a bow:

lizabu Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 8

I've used modelling chocolate before and it's pretty simular to working with gumpaste. Just make all the loops and set them on their sides and let them harden on a tray or a cookie sheet. You won't be able to cut anything away once they are hard so make sure they are exactly as you want them.

Cenell Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks. yes is similar like working with gum paste and I have made a lots of them but I'm worry because this is really huge and I'm afraid that it could fold the loops on the corners and doesn't looks good. I just want to know is there a way to make those huge loops without problem. icon_cry.gif

lizabu Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 8

I see what you're saying. You probably want to support them while they are drying with something like Saran wrap or paper towel. Maybe a small balloon you could carefully deflate once it's dry would work too.

Cenell Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 8

Mmmm. That might work. Thanks lizabu. I'll try that to see if works. thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 8

I did a huge red bow for a Christmas cake. It's in my photos. It was a 3 loop with tails. I used Gum paste because it dries faster than anything...especially when you roll it thin. I first looped each bow around a large paper towel rod, then in a few minutes when it started getting stiff I laid it on it's side and shaped it even wider...stuffing with paper towels to keep it set. The ends I pinched together and put picks in...the longer the better--especially for the center loop. It dried in no time practically...I would give it several hours to set. It was very light too. Had I known what quilling was, I probably would have done that with this bow to kind of fill in more.

Cenell Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #8 of 8

Thanks. and I saw your christmas cake bow I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%