Help! Urgent! Please!

Decorating By firstcakelady Updated 30 May 2010 , 4:07am by chellescountrycakes

firstcakelady Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:18am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone.. kinda new to the board...but I'm really stuck!

I'm making a golf bag shaped cake and its about 12 inches tall and square..I rolled out a huge piece of fondant to cover it and when i layed it on top it split and was a disaster! Its very hot in toronto today and has been and even with the AC im finding the that fondant is just hot and melting.. how can i do this?? should i brave it and try it again and roll it out a little thicker? or is it safer to use buttercream and just use the fondant for accents?

I'm delievering this cake tomorrow..please help

7 replies
firstcakelady Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 8

sorry about that... its not really carved.. its basically 6 10X10 square cakes with buttercream in between and cake boards/dowels for support...

noahsmummy Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 8

you could maybe try the viva crusting buttercream method if the fondant wont co operate. it gives a finish close to fondant..

firstcakelady Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 8

I really wish that was an option. i can't getany viva paper in canada. icon_cry.gif

noahsmummy Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #5 of 8

llol, we dont have viva here in aus either.. well we do.. but it has ripples.. so thats not much help. haha

i used grease proof or waxed paper instead. =)

anasazi17 Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 8

If you are going to go the BC route you could get a high density foam roller from the hardware store. After it has crusted roll it over the cake with some pressure, it works like the viva icon_smile.gif Then take some computer paper and your fondant smoother to give it a really smooth look.

Have you thought about using panels of fondant instead of draping it over the tall cake?

HTH icon_smile.gif

tmac670 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #7 of 8

I use computer paper for smoothing all the time.

chellescountrycakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:07am
post #8 of 8

Yep, computer paper here too icon_smile.gif I'm cheap and wont buy viva AND bounty paper towells. LOL

occasionally I find a coupon and sale and get it for free, so I do get some, but the kids willuse them up quick. LOL

I'd try fondant panels. maybe let them dry a little before you put them on. if you do panels, I'd think thinner would be better. But I've never done them before

if you opt for a whole sheet again, go with thicker. Or I would. Thats how I fixed my fondant disaster when I had problems at the last minute. . put it on thicker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%