Cereal Treat On A 3D Cake Help!

Decorating By Candycanelane Updated 31 May 2010 , 4:49pm by Candycanelane

Candycanelane  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candycanelane Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I am working on a cake for a client and it is a Toothless Cake ( the main dragon from "How to Train your Dragon"). I have him standing and was going to use Cereal treats for his stomach. I used just piping gel and the silly stuff wont stick! HELP!! What do I need to use to glue in place so it doesnt slide??icon_cry.gif
Thank you for any help!!

icon_sad.gif

8 replies
 emiyeric  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 29 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 9

Use some melted chocolate or candy melts. Or you can melt some more marshmallows and use that. HTH! Good luck!

msulli10  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 9

Use melted chocolate. I also use toothpicks to secure the structure.

Candycanelane Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for that tip! I just applied it and it looks better. Fingers crossed it will stick to the board. THANKS AGAIN!!

pursuing_perfection  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 9

So, did it stick together? I always think of a cake as an architectural structure. You need to make sure you have the framework to support it. If toothpicks are too weak/flimsy, try bamboo skewers (like they use for shish kebobs) or even wooden dowels. I tend to use dowels a fair bit as they are easy to find and remove when cutting the cake, plus they are studry enough to give me peace of mind.

I would love to see a pic of the finished product.

pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 9

Sorry, I forgot to check your photos. I have seen the dragon now. Was this your first 3-D cake? If so, great job! IF not, then where are the rest of you photos?!

Candycanelane Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, this was my first 3D cake. The cereal treats in question were upside down on the animal's belly. It didnt stick and I ended up having to prop it with a cake pan underneath. Thank you for all your help! I will probably try another soon just so I can get it right.

pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 9

Way to go for your first 3-D cake! We all learn by experience. Perhaps it may be easier to do an upright (sitting) dragon?

Candycanelane Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 9

I will have to do that for next time. I thought about making him sit, but I foolishly decided against it. Mistakes make you grow, now I know to try other alternatives next time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%