Cereal Treat On A 3D Cake Help!

Decorating By Candycanelane Updated 31 May 2010 , 4:49pm by Candycanelane

Candycanelane Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I am working on a cake for a client and it is a Toothless Cake ( the main dragon from "How to Train your Dragon"). I have him standing and was going to use Cereal treats for his stomach. I used just piping gel and the silly stuff wont stick! HELP!! What do I need to use to glue in place so it doesnt slide??icon_cry.gif
Thank you for any help!!

icon_sad.gif

8 replies
emiyeric Posted 29 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 9

Use some melted chocolate or candy melts. Or you can melt some more marshmallows and use that. HTH! Good luck!

msulli10 Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 9

Use melted chocolate. I also use toothpicks to secure the structure.

Candycanelane Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for that tip! I just applied it and it looks better. Fingers crossed it will stick to the board. THANKS AGAIN!!

pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 9

So, did it stick together? I always think of a cake as an architectural structure. You need to make sure you have the framework to support it. If toothpicks are too weak/flimsy, try bamboo skewers (like they use for shish kebobs) or even wooden dowels. I tend to use dowels a fair bit as they are easy to find and remove when cutting the cake, plus they are studry enough to give me peace of mind.

I would love to see a pic of the finished product.

pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 9

Sorry, I forgot to check your photos. I have seen the dragon now. Was this your first 3-D cake? If so, great job! IF not, then where are the rest of you photos?!

Candycanelane Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, this was my first 3D cake. The cereal treats in question were upside down on the animal's belly. It didnt stick and I ended up having to prop it with a cake pan underneath. Thank you for all your help! I will probably try another soon just so I can get it right.

pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 9

Way to go for your first 3-D cake! We all learn by experience. Perhaps it may be easier to do an upright (sitting) dragon?

Candycanelane Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 9

I will have to do that for next time. I thought about making him sit, but I foolishly decided against it. Mistakes make you grow, now I know to try other alternatives next time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%