To Make Cones For Castle Cake....pls Neeed Suggestions!!!

Decorating By sugardoll Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 2:22am by pursuing_perfection

sugardoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardoll Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 9

i have to make a castle cake for a client...its all buttercream but i dont with what to cover the icecream cones ..is it possible to dip the cones in royal icing (flowing consisitency) and then coat with sprinkles ...wil the cones get soggy if i do it 3 days in advance as i m gonna be busy with more orders that day so just waned to make my work light ...i alsp tried covering these cones with the clored clay dough but the cones got soggy and it started tearing...i dont want to waste fondant as where i stay i dont get fondant easily availabe and even the client will not pay me thta kind of money....pls suggest if there is any better idea to cover the cones.

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 9

I use melted candy (like candy melts)...you can use candy colors to color them the same color as the icing you are using. Just brush on with a silicone pastry brush and dry on wax paper. I have some castle cakes in my photos done this way.

Good luck!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 9

I was gonna suggest the same thing. Candy melts will give you a smooth surface

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 9

you coul dcover them in RI and it will set hard so even if the cone melts you will still have a solid structure but that would be fragile.

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 9

that's pretty much what I was going to suggest. You could use candy melts or coating chocolate. Coating chocolate comes in dark, milk and white chocolate. Another option is to use regular chocolate. You just have to temper it first. Some people find it daunting and it can be time consuming to temper your own chocolate. You need a good digital thermometer and you melt the chocolate in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water and then set bowl aside and let cool down until it's thick but not yet lumpy or hard and then heat it back up to about 87-90F

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:47am
post #6 of 9

If you have candy melts on hand, using candy melts would be the easiest. However, where I live, candy melts are not readily available, so I would probably try wrapping the cones in fondant, or simply making fondant cones if you have several days to let them dry. If you use a simple Marshmallow Fondant recipe from this site, then fondant is not expensive at all! It takes a little time to make, and the key is using lots of shortening as you work it.

sugardoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardoll Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 9

thankyou very much for all ur advices..wanna try with candy melts .

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 9

I used Iceream cones cover in fondant circles (for shingles)...totally couldn't tell that I had started from the cookie cones. They held up super stong.

I covered mine with pearl dust for shimmery look, depending on the colors or realism you are looking for, petal dusts/ pear dusts can do some really nice stuff!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1608327.html

Good luck!!

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #9 of 9

Sugardoll, make sure you post a pic when you are done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%