Fondant Help Please!!

Decorating By powers4god Updated 30 May 2010 , 12:01am by powers4god

powers4god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
powers4god Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 7

I started decorating cakes for friends and family about 2 years ago and I love working with fondant! I've always used Wilton's fondant and my cakes look perfect but the taste is terrible! I recently purchased Satin Ice and absolutely love the taste and so does everyone who eats it. My problem is, I haven't been able to figure out how to work with it and get the same results as I did with Wilton's. My cakes show every little flaw, the fondant stretches after I drape it over my cake and then starts sagging after it sits! I do live in FL so the humidity may be a problem. I also have found that it doesn't smooth as easily as Wilton's and has a lot more air bubbles.
Any advice would be appreciated! Also, is there another brand that tastes as good as Satin Ice that may be easier to work with? I never want to go back to the horrible tasting Wilton fondant, but I also want my cakes to look just as good.

Rachel

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7

You'll get lots of different opinions!!!

I have switched recently back to FondX and think it covers cakes nicer than Satin Ice. Satin Ice is better for decorations though.

Some people mix homemade marshmallow fondant with Satin Ice and say it makes it nicer to work with.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 7

Just a rumor, but I've heard from various sources that Wilton has been reformulated and actually tastes better now. I don't want to spend the money on it, just is case it still tastes like something my dog left on the lawn. But that's what the rumor mill is saying lately. It's is great to work with, but I would only used it to cover dummies if the taste hasn't changed any.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 7

I really like Fondarific - it really tastes good and it is easy to work with. I did buy some Wilton the other day to use in the Cricut Cake and my DD tried a piece of it (because I would not!) She said it was good!?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 7

If it is a hobby for you, why dont you use MMF? That is a lot to spend on fondant for a hobby- I know I could not afford it. MMF is soo tasty, easy to work with and CHEAP to make! I use Rhondas ultimate MMF (in recipes) and it is fantastic! Just be careful to not overheat your marshmallows - that is where I have found the air bubbles come from. Are you softening your satin ice in the microwave? You have to be careful to not heat any fondant too much.
SI dries really fast on me, as I am in a dry climate. I also find it a bit too sweet tasting. But you wont be disappointed with Rhondas MMF. And if you dont like marshmallow fondant, try Michelle Fosters fondant - it is really good too! I would use Wilton in a pinch and mix it with MMF. I have also added some flavoring to help with the lousy taste. I bet the Princess cake and cookie emulsion would really improve the taste - I have only tried almond, however (just a tiny bit, though). Maybe you would like Duffs-fondant? I hear its good, but expensive, once again. But with your 40% michaels coupon, that would help...

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 7

I say MMF all the way!

powers4god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
powers4god Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #7 of 7

OOPS!!!! After I posted this I realized I mentioned the WRONG FONDANT! I bought Fondarific not Satin Ice!
I have no problem using Wilton's for decorations, especially figurines. I just mix some gum paste in with it to help prevent cracking.
Cake decorating is just a hobby for me, although I do sell my cakes. I would love to one day open a cake shop but I would never have the time for it as I am also a midwife. Two or three cakes a month are plenty to keep me artistically satisfied icon_biggrin.gif

My basic need for a good fondant is for covering the cakes so they are perfectly smooth, don't show flaws easily, and taste good.

Thanks for any help!

Rachel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%