So Much For My Perfect Fondant

Baking By MommaDukes Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm by catlharper

MommaDukes Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 8

I made the marshmallow fondant yesterday let it rest overnight. Life was great when I put the white on the bottom layer, oh so smooth> YES!!

Now I have colored some of it royal blue, it is cracking, breaking and a royal mess I took it off the cake threw it down the disposal!

I read on here to put it in the microwave for a few seconds and then knead again. Do I let it rest or what can I do.

Help once again today.
Pat

7 replies
mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 8

Adding alot of color to fondant can/will change the texture. Just one of the many issues we face. I have never had good results with mmf so I have no idea how you might save it.

MommaDukes Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Adding alot of color to fondant can/will change the texture. Just one of the many issues we face. I have never had good results with mmf so I have no idea how you might save it.

You are 100% correct, the blue is yuck
the red is so thin but I can work with it cause it's for stripes.

I may have to pull out my scare container of satin ice.

I am def a mess in progress!

julesh268 Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 8

I have had really good luck with MMF to cover cakes, but not to work with (too sticky). I have colored mine and have not had an issue. It just sounds like it might be a little dry and I would mix in more water and crisco and let it rest wrapped tightly.

I have bright (and I might blinding bright) yellow fondont that I keep in my fridge just to practice with and it is probably 2 months old and it is still easy to work with.

Sorry it didn't work for you!

Marianna46 Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 8

Really, I beg of you, give Michele Foster's fondant (it's in the recipe section here) a whirl if you have to make some more. Either the original, which has no dairy in it, or the new "improved" version (I put that in quotation marks because I actually like the original version the best). I know you'll be able to tell the difference. And if the fondant gets dry and wants to crack, remember: Crisco is your friend! LOL!

MommaDukes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:11am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Really, I beg of you, give Michele Foster's fondant (it's in the recipe section here) a whirl if you have to make some more. Either the original, which has no dairy in it, or the new "improved" version (I put that in quotation marks because I actually like the original version the best). I know you'll be able to tell the difference. And if the fondant gets dry and wants to crack, remember: Crisco is your friend! LOL!

I will be making Michelle's fondant tonight. We are doing a b'day for a friends son (1st) and will need colored fondant.
Thanks for all the input, I will let yall know.
Pat

Marianna46 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 8

Have fun, MommaDukes! Just one thing before you start, and you may already know this. I mentioned it on another thread, but it's worth a heads-up here, too: when making any kind of fondant, leave some of the powdered sugar out of the kneading process. If the recipe calls for 2 lbs. of PS, I reserve about 2 cups of it, because the amount of sugar fondant needs on any given day can vary a lot (not sure what the factors are, but I'd guess temperature, humidity, the heat of your hands...). There have been times when I don't even need the sugar I've reserved, times when I use almost all of it and even a time or two when I've actually needed more than the recipe calls for! It's better to have sticky fondant and add more sugar that to have dry fondant, which is a lot harder to repair. HTH!

catlharper Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 8

Just a rule of thumb for MMF...if it's sticky add more PS, if it's cracking/dry then add more crisco. Yes, dark or vibrant colors get VERY dry. Airbrushing is usually a better choice if you can do so.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%