First Wedding Cake Order Help!!

Decorating By yummy Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 2:47am by suedefringe

yummy Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 11

I just got off the phone with a lady who wants a wedding cake for Aug 14th. She wants a 3 tiered cake (serving 2 saving 1) to feed 70 people. Her colors are champaigne and black. Her budget is only $200.

I told her I'll call her back (I was in the middle of trying to control a leak from my upstairs neighbor) I would love to do this wedding cake; it's my first one. I nedd a design that's easy but a WOW factor. I'm about to go through the galleries for inspirations but if anyone has anything in their favorites please share. All styles are welcomed; colors don't have to match, I'm just interested in the design. I'll find out soon what's her style and theme; I just want to be prepared for anything she might tell me. Thanks, looking forward to your response!

10 replies
luvbuttercream Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 11

I think this cake is simple but oh so pretty.
LL

DeeDelightful Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 11

Do a round 10"/8"/6" white buttercream, large black flower on the middle tier or black fondant buttons all the way down one side. Or wrap each tier in a pretty champagne bow. I would limit her choices for designs and flavors.

yummy Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 11

Lovebuttercream, that cake is is so nice.

DeeDelightful, thanks for the advice. I forgot to ask what size pans to use. How many does those pans feed?

I found out that they want a chocolate cake with bc icing. The design is up to me; they don't have a theme or a style. She said all their interested in is that it's good and moist and it's different. So please everyone keep the inspiration coming.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 11

Here's the chart for how many servings come from which pans. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

If they're keeping the top tier, you can't count that in the number of servings.

luvbuttercream Posted 29 May 2010 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 11

Here is another chart... shows serving sizes a little more generous than Wilton and it shows if you don't use the top tier.

http://www.baking911.com/cakes/numberofservings_guide.htm

DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 11

a 10"/8"/6" will serve right at 100 people, but it gives you the 3 tiers, the top can be saved and still serve 70+ people. Okay, great, they made it easy for you with the flavor choice. I'd definitely try the WASC variation for a chocolate cake. It's simple, makes a lot of batter, delicious, moist and cost efficient. You MIGHT have to double it or do a full WASC recipe and a 1/2 WASC recipe. I would definitely give her some sparkle here and there with luster dust. Look in the gallery under Black and White. There are some gorgeous cakes in there.

rkei Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #8 of 11

I would SO do the cake in the picture that Lovebuttercream posted! Good luck, do post pics when you are done!

tomswife Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #9 of 11

I love this one and it looks hard but really not bad at all and makes a definite statement...The one with multiple pics, I like the top right one with maybe just cream or champagne dusted flowers.
LL
LL

SusanSayl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 11

This is one that I am doing for my sister's wedding next week. It will be my first wedding cake. I'm so happy it is a really easy one, and the great thing is, this is the one my sister actually picked out. Her colors are black and red. So I'm doing a white fondant covered cake with black fondant ribbon around the bottom of the tiers and red roses. I think its great for my first time!
LL

suedefringe Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #11 of 11

check out the wedding cake i just made . You could easily do something like this on the cheap esp if you make your own fondant !!!! This was only two layers but I was gonna add a third but I was having fondant problems so I left the bottom layer off as it was a picnic party and I sliced that and threw it on the table with the other desserts!

Also, the only reason I added the lace ...which is super easy, was to cover the imperfections in my fondant ! A trick I learned from a teacher. The roses are cheap to make, just a little time consuming but you could make those way ahead of time. I started weeks prior. Just place them in a safe place so nobody messes them up !

as for 200.00 bucks not sure if thats doable, depens on wether of not you want to make some money icon_smile.gif Or just want to do it to get one under your belt, which was my case.

Good luck , Colleen .
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%