Fondant Help Please

Decorating By pecanrican Updated 30 May 2010 , 3:22am by superstar

pecanrican Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 10

I made some fondant figurines for a baby shower cake for tomorrow and the humidity is melting them. The booties are sagging. Is there anyway that I can save them? I am very new at this and very worried

9 replies
mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

Did you add tylose or gumpaste to your fondant? I make mine out of gumpaste unless I have 4 or 5 days for them to dry. If they're straight fondant they probably aren't going to dry.

You can put figures in the COLD oven with the light on and that helps them to dry a little faster, but like I said if they're fondant only they aren't going to dry by tomorrow.

pecanrican Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 10

I did not add anything to the fondant. I will try the oven. Thank you. Has anyone else had this happen? how did you save it?

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanrican

I did not add anything to the fondant. I will try the oven. Thank you. Has anyone else had this happen? how did you save it?

If you used fondant only the oven method is NOT going to work for you. That works if you have mixed the fondant with tylose or gum-tex or used gumpaste. If you need them by tomorrow you're going to need to redo them using fondant that has been mixed with tylose or gumpaste or straight gumpaste.

I made a Mario cake last week and because I dreaded do the figures I put it off until the night before it was due. I made all of my figures out of gumpaste and they dried by the next morning.

What kind of fondant did you use? Making them out of fondant MAY work if they have several days to dry.

anamado Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 10

After you take them out of the oven, put it on an airtight container until delivery.
I use marshmallow fondant. The closest thing that happened to me was once, when the humidity of the air was high, the figures got soft and lost some the pose I had given them

pecanrican Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 10

They did lose some of their shape. I will leave them alone for now and just remake them late tonight and pray they make it to tomorrow

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanrican

They did lose some of their shape. I will leave them alone for now and just remake them late tonight and pray they make it to tomorrow

I don't know where you're located but I'm in Arkansas and I can't even get fondant/tylose to harden because of the humidity. That's why I use gumpaste. There was a thread on here recently and a couple of others said that they had the same problem because of humidity.

I mixed fondant/tylose for a loopy bow for a bday cake and after 5 days it still wouldn't dry even using the "oven method".

superstar Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 10

Do you have Tylose? if so add that to your fondant if not go to the grocery store & by some Fixodent Extra Hold Tooth Powder, add some of that to your fondant (about a teaspoonful to 1 pound), it works well & although I don't advise anyone to eat the decoration! it is food safe. I don't know anyone who eats the decorations anyway except kids & it wont hut them if they do. Hope this helps you.

mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:49am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Do you have Tylose? if so add that to your fondant if not go to the grocery store & by some Fixodent Extra Hold Tooth Powder, add some of that to your fondant (about a teaspoonful to 1 pound), it works well & although I don't advise anyone to eat the decoration! it is food safe. I don't know anyone who eats the decorations anyway except kids & it wont hut them if they do. Hope this helps you.

I am so glad to know this! Thanks for the tip. thumbs_up.gif

superstar Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 10

You are welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%