Cricut Cake, Anyone Bought It Yet? Need Reviews!

Decorating By Malakin Updated 31 May 2010 , 5:17pm by Malakin

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 29 May 2010 , 10:14am
post #1 of 11

Has anyone bought the Cricut Cake Personal Electronic Cutter yet? I'm seriously thinking about it, but would rather have all the input from you guys before I sink a fortune into this just for a hobby!

10 replies
skmokis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skmokis Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:33am
post #2 of 11

I use my cricut expression to cut all my stuff for my cakes. It works awesome. Just need to make a few adjustments. You can also use the pens to draw on fondants and gumpaste. I keep separate blades and mats for cake and then Nother set for cake stuff. If you don't have a cricut already HSN has a huge bundal that came with 4 carts for about $320. I would rather pay $320 for bundal rather 399 just for the machine. If you are intrested in how to adjust the regular cricut machine just post a reply and I'll be more than happy to help you out!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 11

Search Cricut cake on here. Lots of reviews and lots of help on using it. Some people love it - some hate it. I personally love it - even though I haven't a lot of opportunity to use it.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 11

I bought my cricut cake about 2 weeks ago. All I've cut with it so far is paper. I'm letting my little girls have fun with it first so they don't whine as much when I'm ready to play with it, which is hopefully this weekend. I bought mine through Wal Mart. It seemed to be the most reasonalbe place to purchase it. You can have it shipped to the store for free or to your house at a minimum.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 11

This is the last forum on Cricut. It has some useful links in it.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6824849-.html#6824849

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #6 of 11
AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:40am
post #7 of 11

I love mine but I'm having a REALLY hard time cutting out the more intricate designs (such as the filagrees on the Cake Basics Cart). The gumpaste or fondant just drags around the mat when the CC is trying to cut the small details (I'm cutting at a large scale).

Anyone have any suggestions? I watched the Gumpaste YouTube videos and she says she leaves her gumpaste out overnight, which I've never tried. Does this work for anyone else?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:50am
post #8 of 11

I love mine. I found the right mix of fondant/tylose/drying time. I did read that to do the intricate designs with fondant that you should make them at least 3 inches or bigger. Gonna try that this upcoming week!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 11

I cut one of the filigree patterns on Cake Basics out of Fondarific. Some slight tearing but not enough to keep me from using it. The biggest problem is transferring it to the cake.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOCutie143

I love mine but I'm having a REALLY hard time cutting out the more intricate designs (such as the filagrees on the Cake Basics Cart). The gumpaste or fondant just drags around the mat when the CC is trying to cut the small details (I'm cutting at a large scale).

Anyone have any suggestions? I watched the Gumpaste YouTube videos and she says she leaves her gumpaste out overnight, which I've never tried. Does this work for anyone else?

I'll have to agree with AXOCutie143...love mine but have trouble with the more intricate designs.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the input! I bought one....I guess we'll see how bad or good it is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%