Wrapping Paper To Cover Cake Board

Decorating By CakesHeaven Updated 29 May 2010 , 7:42pm by mamawrobin

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:13am
post #1 of 15

Can you use gift wrap to cover your cake boards? Is it safe? I have always just used tin foil or fondant but would like to have another option. Is there a certain type anyone uses.
Thanks in advance for your help.

14 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:19am
post #2 of 15

I use it all the time. My cakes are on cake boards so I dont have to worry about the paper getting that greasy discolored look. Just make sure to test a spot first for fading, greasy run, and whiting out.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:58am
post #3 of 15

I used wrapping paper to cover my bf's cake board last week. I just covered it w/ food grade cellophane from Hobby Lobby.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:13am
post #4 of 15

Great tips. Just remember that you can't have wrapping paper in direct contact with food. You aren't even supposed to burn wrapping paper in your fireplace because of the possibility that it contains lead that burning would release in the smoke.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:00am
post #5 of 15

i use it all the time; i just cover is cellophane after.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 15

I use wrapping paper quite often and cover with clear contact paper.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Ditto for me. icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Ditto for me. icon_smile.gif

Same here.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 15

I have recently started buying paper in the scrapbooking aisle. There are so many designs from which to choose and the price at Hobby Lobby is pennies a sheet. I then cover with clear contact paper.

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you everyone for your replies. It puts my mind at ease, I don't want to be making people sick. Now off to shop icon_smile.gif
Thank you again, I can always count on the great CC'ers here

shstover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shstover Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 15

I have used wrapping paper on my cake boards... I just cover it with clear contact paper to ensure the board and paper don't get soggy and weak.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 15

At least three people have contacted the manufacturer of Contact Paper, and where told that it is not food safe. Read the thread:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=670650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

and many have been told by their local HD that they aren't allowed to use it. (decide for yourself if you can use it anyway if using a cake circle if your borders are exposed to prolonged contact with the material after reading the link.)

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 15

I use cardbord circles between the cake and the paper just like many professionals do.

However, my favorite and most "used" method is freezer paper (shinny side up). It's pretty, very durable and FOOD SAFE thumbs_up.gif . It's also inexpensive.

Ribbon isn't "food safe" either. Only fondant ribbon is truly "food safe" yet that doesn't stop anyone from using it. Putting wax paper on the back of the ribbon acts as a barrier between the cake and the ribbon but in the same principal as the cakeboard between the cake and the contact paper.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 15

I use the plastic tablecloths from the dollar store. $1 and they cover lots of boards.

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I use the plastic tablecloths from the dollar store. $1 and they cover lots of boards.

Hi DeeDelightful from Arkansas! I used a black one on my Mario cake last week. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%